Two die as plane crashes into lagoonMarch 16th, 2012 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
San Juan, March 16 (IANS/EFE) Two people died Thursday when their cargo plane crashed into Torrecillo Lagoon in Carolina, Puerto Rico.
Authorities identified the crew as pilot and owner of the plane Uriel Bristol, 67, and Anthony Tavarez, 45, who had been working for two years for the Jet One Express air cargo firm.
The accident occurred shortly after Bristol and Tavarez took off from the Luis Munoz Marin airport about 7 a.m. in the Convair 340, which was manufactured in the 1950s.
The plane’s destination was the island of Santa Cruz and its cargo consisted of food produced by the Holsum company.
The pilot relayed an “Alert 2″ to the control tower signifying an emergency, which could be due to “problems with the brakes, an open door or with the control system”, said airport administrator Arnaldo Deleo.
He said that Bristol told the control tower after communicating the alert that he would try to return to the airport, but before the plane could be turned around and landed it crashed into the lagoon.
He said that Jet One Express makes 15 trips a week with two aircraft from the island’s main airport.
- Four die in Brazil plane crash - Feb 17, 2012
- Rappers lead march against violence in Puerto Rico - Dec 28, 2011
- Shakira in Puerto Rico to be with boyfriend - Aug 14, 2012
- Masked robbers strike at Puerto Rico casino - Sep 17, 2011
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Ricky Martin to set up kids's centres across Latin America - Jun 05, 2011
- 3 die in Mexican plane crash - Nov 01, 2011
- Ricky Martin to promote Puerto Rico tourism on world tour - Mar 15, 2011
- Eight die in two plane crashes in Bolivia - Apr 23, 2012
- Small plane crashes in Argentina - Oct 13, 2011
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Castro's daughter wants Banderas to play her dad in film - Jan 15, 2012
- Puerto Rican held for killing two in US - Aug 17, 2012
- Chinese plane flies from Japan without permission - Nov 30, 2011
- Monkeys menace in Puerto Rican capital - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: 1950s, air cargo, arnaldo, authorities, brakes, bristol, cargo plane, carolina puerto rico, control tower, convair 340, efe, jet one, lagoon, luis munoz marin, luis munoz marin airport, pilot, plane crashes, san juan, santa cruz