Two dead after serial blasts hit China’’s Xinjiang provinceAugust 10th, 2008 - 10:37 am ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 10 (ANI): At least two people were killed when Kuqa county in the northwestern Chinese province of Xinjiang was hit by a series of explosions early on Sunday.
The blasts took place between 3:20 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. (local time).
Local military sources said that they expected the casualties to rise.
State media Xinhua reported eyewitnesses as saying that they saw flashes of fire and heard the sound of gunshots soon after the blasts.
Tight security arrangements have been made following the blasts and police has cordoned off the blast site. The blast was held when the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games is underway in Beijing.
Earlier, the Turkistan Islamic Party (TIP) had issued a threat against the Olympic Games and warned Muslims to stay away from the games or be within the vicinity.
The threat was issued in a six-minute video named “Call to the Global Muslim Ummah”.
The video features graphics similar to ones used earlier: a burning Olympics logo and an explosion imposed over an apparent Olympic venue. It bears a production date of August 1, 2008.
Last month, the militant group issued similar videotaped threats and claimed responsibility for a series of bus bombings in China in recent months. (ANI)
- Turkistan Islamic Party threatens Beijing Olympics - Aug 08, 2008
- China names six terrorists (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- China breaks up terrorist ring in Xinjiang - Jun 24, 2010
- China seeks Pakistan help to nab six terrorists (Third Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- China seeks Pakistan help to nab terrorists (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Terrorists issue new threat to Olympics: US analysts - Aug 08, 2008
- Be vigilant against Pakistan-trained terrorists: Chinese daily - Aug 02, 2011
- China blames terrorists trained in Pakistan for Xinjiang attack (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Terrorists not to impact ties with Pakistan: China - Mar 07, 2012
- China claims smashing Xinjiang terror ring - Jun 24, 2010
- China blames Pakistan trained terrorists for Xinjiang attack - Aug 01, 2011
- Al Qaeda calls for holy war against China - Oct 07, 2009
- China to hike anti-terrorism cooperation with Pakistan - Aug 03, 2011
- Two-fly limit for Beijing public loos - May 24, 2012
- China to recruit 8,000 police officers - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing olympic, 2008 beijing olympic games, bus bombings, chinese province, eyewitnesses, features graphics, global muslim, islamic party, militant group, military sources, muslim ummah, olympic games, olympic venue, olympics logo, party tip, security arrangements, series of explosions, tight security, turkistan, xinjiang province