Two civilians killed in Kashmir firingFebruary 21st, 2009 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 21 (IANS) Two civilians were killed and one critically wounded in indiscriminate firing by unidentified assailants in army uniforms in the Kashmir Valley Saturday evening, police and eyewitnesses said.
Locals alleged that the assailants, travelling in a vehicle of the Rashtriya Rifles, fired at a group of youth, killing two and critically wounding another, while passing through the Bumie area of north Kashmir’s Sopore town, 50 km from here.
The deceased have been identified as Mohammed Amin Tantray and Firdous Ahmed Khwaja.
Tension gripped the area after the incident as agitated locals pelted stones at the police and forced a shutdown of the entire township.
“Initial reports suggest some unidentified persons wearing army fatigues fired indiscriminately at a group of youth in the area resulting in the death of two and critical injuries to another,” Abdul Gani Mir, deputy inspector general of police (North Kashmir range) said.
“I am proceeding to the spot for verification of facts,” the police officer said over the phone from Baramulla district headquarters.
Police and paramilitary troopers were deployed to restore order in the sensitive town.
- Two civilians killed in Kashmir firing, probe ordered (Lead) - Feb 22, 2009
- Kashmiris protest against killing of two youths in Sopore town - Feb 22, 2009
- National Conference activist shot in Kashmir - Feb 05, 2011
- SPO shot at in Kashmir's Sopore - Aug 24, 2011
- Toll in Kashmir violence rises to four - Jul 31, 2010
- Sopore Police registers murder case against Army - Feb 22, 2009
- Youth gunned down in Kashmir - Apr 10, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir protests (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- Army stages flag march in Kashmir town - Jun 30, 2010
- Guerrillas open fire in cop's home in Kashmir - Jul 19, 2011
- Three die in Kashmir violence, toll now 73 (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Kashmir violence claims two more youths - Jun 28, 2010
- Srinagar murder case solved: Police - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: ahmed, amin, army fatigues, army uniforms, civilians, critical injuries, deputy inspector general, district headquarters, eyewitnesses, initial reports, kashmir, kashmir valley, khwaja, mohammed, north kashmir, police officer, rashtriya rifles, saturday evening, unidentified assailants, unidentified persons