Two charged with murder slain in Bolivia by mobAugust 16th, 2012 - 11:22 am ICT by IANS
La Paz, Aug 16 (IANS/EFE) Two Brazilians arrested in Bolivia on suspicion of murder were pulled from a jail cell and burned to death by a mob, Bolivian media said.
The suspects were detained following a triple-homicide in San Matias, a town on the Bolivian side of the countries’ shared border.
Once news of the arrests spread, hundreds of residents filled the streets of San Matias to demand vengeance.
Police deployed tear gas to break up the protest, but the mob overwhelmed the officers and occupied the station, where the vigilantes dragged the two suspects from their cell, doused them with gasoline and set them on fire.
Uno television broadcast images of the burned bodies lying on a street next to the police station.
Prior to the lynching, San Matias police chief Edwin Rojas identified the subjects as Rafael Max Diez, 27, and Jefferson Castro da Lima, 22.
The preliminary investigation indicated that Diez shot Pablo Paraba, Wanderley Costa and Edgar Suarez during an argument over the price of some motorcycles the Brazilians were trying to sell, Rojas said.
- Two kidnappers lynched in Mexico - Feb 12, 2012
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- Journalist siblings found slain in Bolivia - Feb 28, 2012
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- Mob burns bars in Bolivia to protest girl's death - Mar 11, 2010
- Two tonnes of uranium seized in Bolivia - Aug 29, 2012
- Mob in Guatemala kills man who murdered two kids - Sep 13, 2012
- Jindal to export 1 mn tonnes of Bolivian iron ore in 2011 - Jan 21, 2011
- Policemen held for burning flour instead of cocaine - Mar 03, 2010
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
- Former Miss Puerto Rico is terminally ill - Sep 20, 2012
- Bolivian man fathers six kids with stepdaughters - Sep 21, 2010
- Bolivian president's car stolen - May 05, 2010
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Brazilian judge assassinated - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: brazilians, broadcast images, castro, edgar, gasoline, jail cell, la paz, mob, motorcycles, police chief, police station, preliminary investigation, san matias, suarez, suspicion of murder, tear gas, television broadcast, triple homicide, vengeance, vigilantes