Two Brazilian girls kidnapped in EgyptMarch 19th, 2012 - 1:57 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, March 19 (IANS) Two Brazilian girl tourists along with their local guide were kidnapped by armed Bedouins in Egypt’s Sinai peninsula Sunday afternoon, a security official said.
The two tourists were teenage girls who were on their way back from the Saint Catherine monastery when they were kidnapped by six armed Bedouins, Xinhua quoted Mahmoud El-Hevnawy, security chief of south Sinai, as saying.
According to BBC, Sinai Bedouin, who are Arabic-speaking nomadic people, routinely complain of unfair treatment and neglect by Egyptian government. They regularly press their demands by staging protests and blocking roads. Occasionally they take tourists hostage.
Such incidents have increased in frequency since the overthrow of the former president Hosni Mubarak last year.
It was a third kidnapping incident in the area since February this year.
Two Americans and three South Korean tourists were abducted by Bedouins in the area Feb 3 and Feb 10 respectively. The kidnappers demanded release of their relatives who were jailed for involvement in terrorists activities.
- South Korean tourists abducted in Egypt - Feb 11, 2012
- US tourists kidnapped, released in Egypt - Feb 04, 2012
- American tourists kidnapped in Egypt - Jul 14, 2012
- Two Americans kidnapped in Egypt - Jun 01, 2012
- Egypt's resorts safe for tourists - Feb 08, 2011
- Mubarak leaves Cairo: Report (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Israeli missile kills militant in Egypt - Aug 27, 2012
- Egypt safe for tourists, says president - Aug 06, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Suleiman told Israel he would 'cleanse' Sinai of arms runners to Gaza - Feb 10, 2011
- Former Egyptian President Mubarak to be questioned over abuse offenses - Apr 12, 2011
- Mubarak's sons questioned over violence against protesters, corruption allegations - Apr 13, 2011
- Ousted Egyptian President Mubarak to stand trial on August 3 - Jun 02, 2011
- Sharm El Sheikh, Mubarak's new home - Feb 12, 2011
- Former Egyptian leader Mubarak and his sons detained for questioning - Apr 14, 2011
- Hundreds of Mubarak supporters gather in Cairo - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: abducted, bedouin, bedouins, brazilian girl, brazilian girls, egypt cairo, egyptian government, hosni mubarak, kidnappers, mahmoud, president hosni mubarak, saint catherine monastery, security chief, security official, sinai peninsula, south korean tourists, south sinai, teenage girls, unfair treatment, xinhua