Two banks firebombed in ChileFebruary 28th, 2012 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Santiago, Feb 28 (IANS/EFE) Two masked people set off fire bombs Monday at two bank branches in Santiago, causing damage but no injuries, Chilean police said.
A Banco Santander office and a Bancostado branch in Ñunoa, a Santiago suburb, were attacked.
Security cameras captured images of two masked individuals planting a bomb at the Banco Santander ATM, which was completely destroyed, Carabineros militarized police force Capt. Cristian Acevedo told reporters.
“A search of the sector was conducted and no pamphlets or situations pointing to a specific group have been found,” Acevedo said.
The Bancostado branch sustained “great damage to the main inner door, the structure of the ceiling and the building’s windows”, Acevedo said.
More than two dozen bombings have been staged in Chile since 2006, targeting banks, large corporations, churches and public buildings.
In November, the trial of half a dozen suspects accused of setting off 20 bombs between 2006 and 2010 started at the Justice Center in Santiago.
Responsibility for the blasts is usually claimed by anarchists or anti-globalization groups.
- Blast in shopping mall in Argentina - Sep 17, 2010
- Blast in Argentina bank - Aug 26, 2010
- Robbers walk out of Argentine bank with sacks of mail - Dec 30, 2011
- Chile mudslide leaves 3,000 stranded - May 31, 2012
- Moody's cuts credit ratings of 16 Spanish banks - May 19, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- 80 prisoners, 18 guards hurt in Chile jail violence - Dec 17, 2010
- Brazilian financial institution to buy US bank - Apr 26, 2011
- Spain shelves tax case against banking magnate - May 23, 2012
- `Clown' steals money from Chilean casino - Nov 02, 2011
- Police, bank staff killed, robbed - Mar 02, 2011
- Evicted grandmother chains herself to Spain's central bank - May 01, 2012
- Chile officials to be charged for botched tsunami alert - Feb 11, 2012
- Spanish economy back in recession - Apr 24, 2012
- 43 hurt in uprising at Chile prison - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: acevedo, banco santander, bank branches, blasts, bombings, capt, chile santiago, chilean police, cristian, fire bombs, globalization, half a dozen, justice center, large corporations, pamphlets, police force, public buildings, security cameras, specific group, suburb