Two Babbar Khalsa militants nabbed in PunjabMarch 20th, 2008 - 9:07 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Two suspected Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) militants have been arrested in Punjab, and Delhi Police Thursday claimed to have foiled attempts to target religious leaders to revive militancy. Delhi Police’s Special Cell arrested Jaswant Singh, 31, and Surender Singh alias Fauzi, 22, from Jalandhar city Wednesday. The police said two pistols smuggled from Pakistan and 11 live cartridges were recovered from them.
“Their immediate target was Baba Piara Singh, based in Ropar district of Punjab,” Joint Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Karnal Singh said.
“The duo during the interrogation revealed that BKI chief Wadhwa Singh is living in Pakistan and he is managing the whole operation through his son Satnam Singh, based in Germany and some other associates in the US and Britain,” Karnal Singh added.
The top official said, in a bid to revive militancy in Punjab, the terrorist group wanted to create religious discord and disharmony in Punjab by assassinating some prominent religious leaders in the state.
Dec 31, 2007, four BKI militants - identified as Baljeet Singh Pahu, 34, of Mohali, Bikkar Singh, 28, of Sangrur, Kulwinderjeet Singh, 33, of Ludhiana and Trilochan Singh, 45, of Panchkula - were arrested for plotting to terminate Baba Piara Singh, leader of a popular religious sect.
At that time, Jaswant Singh and Surender Singh managed to escape from the police.
The police said Jaswant Singh and Surender Singh are said to be close associates of Jagtar Singh Hawara, Paramjeet Singh Bheora and Jagtar Singh Tara - the trio accused of killing former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh. Jaswant Singh and Surender helped them in escape jail in 1994.
Hawara was also involved in the blasts in two Delhi cinema halls in 2005. Delhi Police arrested Hawara in June 2005 and Bheora in March 2006, but Tara managed to escape to Pakistan.
The police said Jaswant Singh was arrested in July 2005for violations of the Arms Act and Explosive Substance Act. During his brief jail term, he came in contact with Daya Singh Lahoria, chief of Khalistan Liberation Force (KLF), Tahal Singh and Baljeet Singh Pahu, a smuggler of arms, drugs and fake currency.
Pahu arranged Jaswant Singh’s release in 2007 and both were taking directions from the BKI chief in Pakistan.
- Babbar Khalsa terrorists attacked, four arrested - Nov 11, 2011
- Babbar Khalsa plotting revival, big strike: Delhi Police - Jan 01, 2012
- Burail jail-break: Court declares conspirator 'absconder' - Apr 02, 2011
- Khalistan terrorist gets life term for Beant Singh killing - Mar 30, 2010
- Two Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested (second lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Punjab VIPs security stepped up after BKI terrorists' arrest - Dec 25, 2011
- Five terrorists held in Punjab, arms recovered - Jul 28, 2010
- Tihar Jail to lodge terrorist Hawara - Oct 25, 2010
- BKI terrorists sent to custody till Jan 2 (third lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Delhi Police nab two Babbar Khalsa militants in Punjab - Mar 20, 2008
- Assassin on death row wants to be baptized a Sikh - Dec 05, 2010
- Two Khalistani militants arrested in Punjab - Sep 24, 2009
- Three Babbar Khalsa International terrorists arrested - Mar 26, 2010
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Punjab Police recover 15 kg RDX, ammunition - Aug 01, 2010
Tags: babbar khalsa, bki, cinema halls, close associates, commissioner of police, delhi police, disharmony, jagtar singh hawara, jalandhar city, ludhiana, pahu, piara, police the police, punjab chief minister, religious leaders, religious sect, surender, target, trilochan singh, two pistols