Two arrested for killing Hindu leader in Orissa (Lead)October 6th, 2008 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 6 (IANS) Two Maoists were arrested Monday on the charge of killing a Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader in Orissa Aug 23 that led to communal violence in the state.”We have arrested two persons, with guns and masks they used to kill Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati,” state Inspector General of Police (Crime Branch) Arun Kumar Ray told IANS.
He said the arrested persons have confessed their crime.
“We have also detained one more person. We will nab some more people soon,” he said, adding that raids were on at various places.
The arrests came after one of the most wanted Maoist leaders, interacting with a select group of reporters from an undisclosed location Saturday, said he had ordered the killing of the VHP leader.
“We ordered the death penalty for him,” Sabyasachi Panda, the Maoist leader, had said.
On Monday, the police also arrested about 40 more people in Kandhamal district for rioting and other crimes during communal violence that has claimed 35 lives and left thousands homeless over the past five weeks.
Officials said the violence was on the wane.
“The total number of people arrested for their involvement directly or indirectly in the violence would be around 1,000 over the past month,” a senior state home department official told IANS.
Of them, 500 people have been arrested in Kandhamal district alone.
Many of those arrested are linked to Hindu organisations like the VHP and Bajrang Dal. Some of them are also members of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the official said.
“The situation is under control. No violence has been reported from any part of the district in the past three days,” Kandhamal police chief S. Praveen Kumar told IANS Monday.
- Wife demands relief for Odisha Maoist leader - Aug 13, 2012
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal nun gangrape trial begins - Jul 26, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- Orissa cops issue lookout notice for Maoists - with photos - Feb 22, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Main accused in Kandhamal nun's rape held - Dec 07, 2009
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Togadia to visit Kandhamal despite ban - Mar 19, 2010