Two arrested for high-flying Bangkok airport protestApril 24th, 2008 - 12:51 pm ICT by admin
Bangkok, April 24 (DPA) Thai police arrested two people living near Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport for allegedly releasing fire-lanterns into the night sky to protest against aircraft noise, media reports said Thursday. After 10 “yipengs”, or fire-powered traditional lanterns, were spotted floating in the sky south of the airport Tuesday night, the police were dispatched to the Bangkwang Lang Housing estate - one of the communities seeking compensation from the airport for noise pollution - to round up some suspects, reported the Bangkok Post.
Police arrested Thongsai Sannang, 65, and her nephew Suchart Chantawong, 32, both of whom denied responsibility for launching the lanterns.
“I was just looking at the lanterns, just like other people were doing,” said Thongsai.
Communities living near Suvarnabhumi Airport have complained of high noise levels since the airport opened in 2006 and threatened “yipeng” protests to call attention to their plight.
The hot-air lanterns pose a hazard to aircraft as they could be sucked into engines and spark a fire.
The Airport Authority of Thailand (AOT) has agreed to buy houses with a noise exposure forecast (NEF) of 40 and compensate others to allow for renovations. But many residents are dissatisfied with the rate of the payments offered.
- AOT spends Bt9.5 million on lands and buildings affected by airport noise - Jul 15, 2008
- Thai airport moves 'unlucky' demon statues to boost staff's morale! - Nov 11, 2009
- Bangkok bombing's Iranian suspect held in Malaysia (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- UFO seen at China airport - Aug 18, 2011
- Third Iranian suspect in Bangkok bombing held in Malaysia (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Thailand seizes 451 turtles smuggled into plane luggage - Jun 02, 2011
- Protestors agree to allow flights to Bangkok airport - Dec 02, 2008
- Thai opposition leader urges supporters to secure Government House, airport - Nov 29, 2008
- Bangkok awaits airport crackdown amid coup rumours - Nov 28, 2008
- Thai Airways launches cargo aircraft - Apr 12, 2012
- 20 Chinese held for protesting at airport - Apr 14, 2012
- GE Builds "Highways in the Sky!" - Aug 28, 2010
- Three more Iranians held in Bangkok bombing case - Feb 27, 2012
- Four Americans killed in Bahamas plane crash - Mar 27, 2012
- Thailand tourism woos industry, travellers with tax-breaks, freebies - Jun 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,