Twin suicide bombers kill 20 in IraqJuly 15th, 2008 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 15 (Xinhua) Up to 20 Iraqi army recruits were killed Tuesday and 65 others wounded when two suicide bombers blew themselves up at a recruitment centre in the northern province of Diyala, the interior ministry said. The two bombers detonated their explosive vests in the midst of dozens of men queuing up to sign for Iraqi Army at the Saad base, in the provincial capital Baquba, a spokesman of the ministry said.
Earlier, the interior ministry said a suicide bomber killed five recruits and wounded 55 others.
US and Iraqi security forces cordoned off the area while ambulances and civilian cars transported the wounded to the city hospitals, he said.
Diyala, which stretches from the eastern edges of Baghdad to the Iranian border, has long been stronghold for Al Qaeda in Iraq network.
The attack came as the US and Iraqi security forces have been conducting major offensives against extremist Sunni and Shia militiamen across the war-torn country.
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- 10 die in Baghdad blasts - Sep 05, 2010
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
- Two policemen killed in Iraq bombings - Mar 09, 2012
- Suicide bombings kill at least ten people in central Iraq - Jan 20, 2011
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: al qaeda in iraq, ambulances, army recruits, city hospitals, civilian cars, eastern edges, extremist, interior ministry, iranian border, iraqi army, iraqi security, militiamen, northern province, provincial capital, recruitment centre, security forces, stronghold, suicide bomber, suicide bombers, xinhua