Twin blasts kill 18 in Iraqi capital (Lead)December 17th, 2008 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Dec 17 (DPA) Twin bombs ripped through a crowded district in central Baghdad Wednesday, killing 18 and injuring at least 52, the Dubai based al-Arabiya TV reported.A suicide bomber in a car detonated himself near a police checkpoint in Nahda district; the second bomb exploded moments later targeting people who rushed to the scene of the explosion, a police source said.
Some policemen were among the dead, the channel reported.
Nahda is a crowded district in Baghdad known for its shops and restaurants.
The last deadliest attack of this kind took place Dec 11 when a suicide bomber blew himself up in a restaurant in northern Iraq, killing 45 and injuring 85.
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Bombings kill 40 Shiite pilgrims in Iraq - Jul 27, 2010
- 12 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jul 31, 2012
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Four killed in Baghdad suicide blast - Jul 26, 2010
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Seven die in Iraq bomb attack - May 22, 2011
- Three killed in Iraq bombing - Dec 26, 2011
- Six die in Afghan suicide bombing - May 19, 2012
- Four killed, 41 wounded in Nigeria church bombing - Jun 10, 2012
- 96 dead in Yemen military parade bombing (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011