Twenty-one dead in Polish hostel fireApril 13th, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, April 13 (DPA) Twenty-one people were killed and some 20 others were injured when a hostel burned down Monday in north-western Poland, local media reported.
Seventy-seven people were registered in the hostel in the Baltic Sea coastal town of Kamien Pomorski, some 500 km north-west of the capital Warsaw.
The fire was so big and had spread so greatly that there was no hope for extinguishing it, and rescuers concentrated on saving people from the flames, a firefighter told TVN24.
Witnesses said some hostel residents were hurt when they jumped from windows. An eight-month-old baby was among the injured, TVN24 reported.
Police and prosecutors were on the scene investigating to try to determine the cause of the fire. Prime Minister Donald Tusk arrived on the scene, while President Lech Kaczynski declared a day of national mourning.
- Six killed as trains collide in Poland (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat unconcerned at Warsaw protests - Jun 03, 2012
- Man with grenade detained near Polish presidential palace - Aug 18, 2010
- No winner in Polish presidential elections: Exit poll - Jun 21, 2010
- Poland rejects Russia's report on President Kaczynski's death - Dec 17, 2010
- Poland dismisses air force officials after plane crash report - Aug 05, 2011
- Polish president, a friend of India, dies in air crash - Apr 10, 2010
- Kaczynski's brother blasts Russian probe of plane crash - Jan 12, 2011
- Indian community mourns death of Polish president - Apr 10, 2010
- Poland begins week of mourning after Russian air crash - Apr 11, 2010
- Polish president - a difficult man when alive, popular in death - Apr 14, 2010
- Poland to reconstruct jet crash that killed president - Jan 23, 2011
- Air crash: Polish, Russian investigators examining flight data recorders - Apr 11, 2010
- Trapped Chicago firefighters rescued - Dec 22, 2010
- No Euro 2012 boycott, says Polish PM - May 25, 2012
Tags: baltic sea, coastal town, donald tusk, firefighter, flames, hostel, kamien pomorski, local media, month old baby, one people, president lech kaczynski, prime minister, prosecutors, rescuers, seventy seven, tvn24, warsaw, western poland