Twelve people killed in AfghanistanApril 27th, 2009 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 27 (DPA) Five Afghan policemen and two civilians were killed in a roadside bomb blast in a restive southern province, where five Taliban militants were also killed, officials said Monday.
The five insurgents were killed by Afghan and coalition forces in Zharai district of the southern province of Kandahar Monday morning, the US military said in a statement.
Troops detained 10 suspects from several compounds in the area, the statement said. “Despite the careless actions of the militants who needlessly endangered the lives of civilians, forces protected approximately 100 adults and more than 50 children.”
In another incident, five Afghan policemen and two civilians were killed by a roadside bomb in the district Sunday afternoon, the interior ministry said Monday.
Two more policemen and two civilians were also wounded when one of police vehicles was blown up in the district’s Lakokhel area, the statement said.
The bombing happened the same day that officials burned 6.5 tonnes of narcotics seized in operations this year, on the northern outskirts of Kabul city.
Afghanistan produces more than 90 percent of the world’s opiates.
Two insurgents were also detained by Afghan and US-led coalition forces in Sarkani district of eastern Kunar province Monday, the US military said, accusing them of involvement in attacks against the coalition forces in the province.
- Bombs kill five foreign troops in Afghanistan - Aug 31, 2010
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 11 killed in Afghan attack - May 16, 2011
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- NATO apologizes for airstrike which killed Afghan women, children - May 30, 2011
- 12 Afghan police killed in insurgent attacks - Jun 15, 2010
- NATO soldier, 35 insurgents killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 24, 2010
- 24 militants killed in Afghanistan - Oct 22, 2011
- 10 killed in Afghan roadside bombing - Dec 29, 2011
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- NATO soldiers, Afghan policemen killed in blasts - Aug 08, 2010
- 13 killed in Afghanistan - Jun 30, 2010
- Taliban bomb expert captured by NATO - Jan 07, 2011
- 10 policemen killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 28, 2012
- 23 suicide attackers killed, four held in Afghanistan - May 08, 2011
Tags: afghanistan kabul, bomb blast, civilians, coalition forces, insurgents, interior ministry, kabul city, kandahar, kunar province, militants, monday morning, narcotics, northern outskirts, opiates, police vehicles, policemen, roadside bomb, southern province, sunday afternoon, us military