Twelve killed in Mexico bus accidentMarch 18th, 2009 - 7:56 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, March 17 (EFE) Twelve people including eight US citizens were killed when a bus carrying tourists collided with a dump truck in northern Mexico, diplomats at the US Embassy in the country said Tuesday.
The embassy offered “profound condolences for the families of the victims” and said the US consulates in the northern cities of Monterrey and Reynosa were working to confirm the identities of the dead and to notify their loved ones.
The state Attorney General’s Office in Coahuila issued a statement listing the names of 10 of the 12 fatalities from Monday’s accident. Killed along with the US citizens were three Canadians and the Mexican man who was driving the bus.
Seven Americans and four Canadians were injured in the incident.
The bus and the dump truck, which had no license plates, collided at kilometer 301 on the highway linking Saltillo with Zacatecas, capital of the likenamed state.
Authorities are blaming the crash on the 21-year-old man behind the wheel of the truck, who was hurt in the incident.
- Bus passengers lynch robber in Mexico - May 25, 2012
- 18 tonnes of industrial explosives stolen in Mexico - Feb 20, 2010
- Indian-origin man teaches yoga to Mexican migrants - Oct 01, 2011
- Pet tiger escapes, causes scare in Mexico - Dec 31, 2011
- U.S. State Department issues travel warning to Mexico due to increasing violence - Aug 28, 2010
- US Consulate in Monterrey, Mexico issues travel advisory after drug-related violence - Apr 01, 2010
- 14 bodies found in van in Mexico - Aug 10, 2012
- U.S. closes Reynosa, Mexico consular agency due to local violence - Feb 26, 2010
- Bus crash kills 21 people in central Mexico - Oct 18, 2010
- Nine killed in drug related attacks in Mexico - May 23, 2011
- 5 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway - Feb 08, 2011
- Mexican governor's nephew slain - Nov 12, 2011
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Gunmen abduct Mexico hotel guests, no US woman among the victims - Apr 22, 2010
- U.S. Missionary dies after being shot in northern Mexico - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: bus accident, canadians, condolences, crash, diplomats, dump truck, license plates, march 17, mexican man, mexico city, monterrey, northern cities, northern mexico, old man, reynosa, saltillo, state attorney general, state authorities, tourists, us embassy