Turkish troops continue Iraq offensiveFebruary 26th, 2008 - 5:07 pm ICT by admin
Ankara, Feb 26 (DPA) Turkish troops operating in northern Iraq cut off routes to the Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) main camp in the Qandil mountains, stopping PKK fighters from other regions from reaching the main camp, Turkish newspapers reported Tuesday. Commandos parachuted into the Qandil region near Iraq’s border with Iran and took control of roads and passes in the region, Hurriyet newspaper reported. Other troops had reached around 25 km inside mountainous northern Iraq.
Some 41 PKK fighters were killed in fighting Sunday night and Monday, according to a statement released by the Turkish General Staff Monday afternoon, bringing the total number of PKK dead since the operation began Thursday night to 153. Two Turkish soldiers were killed Monday, the statement said, bringing the Turkish death toll to 17.
The Dogan news agency reported that three state-employed village guards were also killed in clashes with PKK militants.
Turkey launched “Operation Gunes” Thursday night, sending as many as 10,000 troops into Iraq with the aim of destroying the PKK’s ability to use northern Iraq as a base from which to launch attacks on Turkey. The Turkish military estimates there are 4,000 to 5,000 PKK guerrillas based in the region.
Turkey blames the separatist group for the deaths of more than 32,000 since the early 1980s when the PKK began its fight for independence or autonomy for the mainly Kurdish-populated southeast of Turkey.
The PKK is considered a terrorist organization by the US and the European Union.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- 6 killed in Turkey clash - Jun 22, 2010
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in Iraq - Jul 24, 2008
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Seven Kurdish separatists killed in Turkey - Apr 02, 2008
- Turkish troops advancing on Kurdish rebel headquarters - Feb 25, 2008
- Turkish military confirms pullout from northern Iraq - Feb 29, 2008
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Turkish air force strikes Kurdish rebel positions in Iraq - May 03, 2008
- Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish rebels in Iraq - Apr 16, 2008
- Turkey refuses to give timetable on withdrawal from Iraq - Feb 28, 2008
- Troops kill 11 Kurdish separatists in Turkey - Mar 13, 2008
Tags: ankara, autonomy, clashes, commandos, dogan, dpa, guerrillas, kurdish workers party, monday afternoon, northern iraq, pkk, pkk militants, separatist group, terrorist organization, thursday night, turkish death toll, turkish general staff, turkish newspapers, turkish soldiers, turkish troops