Turkish planes hit Kurdish targets in IraqDecember 29th, 2008 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, Dec 28 (Xinhua) Turkish jets have struck several targets of the Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, the Turkish army said Sunday.Sources in the army said it carried out several operations Saturday and Sunday, targeting the PKK along the Turkish-Iraqi border. Operations against the PKK were also carried out inside Turkey, in the border area with Iraq.
The Turkish military has periodically bombed and shelled suspected PKK positions in Turkish-Iraqi border area in the past few months. In February, it also launched an eight-day ground incursion into Iraq.
The PKK, which is listed by the US and Turkey as a terrorist group, took up arms against Turkey in 1984 with the aim of creating an ethnic homeland in southeast Turkey. More than 30,000 people have been killed in the conflict so far.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- More than 150 Kurdish rebels killed in Iraq: Turkish Army - May 04, 2008
- Turkish planes strike Kurdish targets in Iraq - Feb 06, 2009
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Eight Kurdish rebels killed in Turkey - Sep 14, 2009
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern Iraq - Dec 18, 2008
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,