Turkish jets bomb targets in northern IraqJune 21st, 2010 - 3:05 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, June 21 (IANS) Two Turkish warplanes bombed several areas in Iraq’s northern Kurdish mountainous region, a media report said.
The fighter jets bombarded the Sidakan district in Arbil province, Xinhua reported citing a statement in Kurdish website PUK media web.
“At 5.20 p.m. (local time) on Sunday, two warplanes believed to be Turkish ones heavily bombarded the mountains of Lolan in Sidakan district,” a source told the website.
In another Turkish air raid late Saturday, an 11-year old Iraqi girl was killed and two people were wounded in the border areas in Sedikan sub-district, the report said.
Meanwhile, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari condemned the Turkish military action.
Turkey has long been fighting the banned Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK), which is active in eastern Turkey and northern Iraq, and frequently bomb PKK targets inside Iraq’s Kurdistan region.
Listed as a terrorist organisation by the Turkish government, the US and the European Union, the PKK took up arms in 1984 to create an ethnic homeland in southeastern Turkey.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- One killed in Iraq protest - Feb 17, 2011
- 6 killed in Turkey clash - Jun 22, 2010
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Turkish jets pound PKK positions in northern Iraq - Dec 18, 2008
- Iraq warns of Syrian crisis' consequences - Jun 24, 2012
- Turkish war planes bomb Kurdish rebel hideouts in Iraq - Oct 18, 2008
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- US sanctions Kurdish separatists - Oct 15, 2009
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: air raid, arbil, border areas, eastern turkey, fighter jets, iraq baghdad, kurdish workers party, kurdistan region, lolan, media web, mountainous region, northern iraq, pkk, puk media, southeastern turkey, terrorist organisation, turkish air, turkish government, turkish warplanes, xinhua