Turkish institute head sacked for Holocaust comparisonJune 26th, 2008 - 11:16 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, June 26 (DPA) A German institute of Turkish studies sacked its Turkish-born director Thursday after he said Turks in Germany and other European countries suffered discrimination similar to that suffered by the Jews in the Holocaust. The Essen-based Centre for Turkish Studies, which is funded by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, said it had decided to sack Faruk Sen for the comment and for previous remarks that presented a distorted picture of relations between Turks and Germans in Germany.
Sen had contributed to polarization, rather than integration, the institute’s central aim, it said.
Sen, who has led the well-known institute since its founding in 1985, said he would launch a legal appeal.
Speaking to the German daily Tageszeitung from Istanbul, he described the decision as an “overreaction by the executive” in remarks to be published Friday.
More than a month ago, Sen compared discrimination against Turks in Western Europe with the persecution of the Jews by Germany during World War II in an article in the Turkish newspaper Referans.
He subsequently distanced himself from the remarks and apologized.
- Synagogue opens in German town after 70 years - Mar 15, 2010
- Germany plans to attract more foreign skilled workers - Dec 02, 2011
- German Foreign Minister Westerwelle steps down as German Vice Chancellor - Apr 05, 2011
- Pug fashion leads to longer noses and legs - Jul 16, 2012
- Neighbors complain that a deaf couple is too loud - Nov 30, 2011
- German prosecutor shot dead by defendant - Jan 12, 2012
- Germany Court Ruling States Women Must Wear Bras - Jan 15, 2011
- Poisonous dioxin found in 3,000 tons of an animal feed additive in Germany - Jan 06, 2011
- German police arrest six Tamil separatists - Mar 05, 2010
- Dusseldorf is Etihad's 71st destination - Jul 23, 2011
- Germany may buy data on tax evaders with Swiss accounts - Jan 31, 2010
- German diplomats deeply involved with Nazi Holocaust of Jews' - Oct 26, 2010
- Court: German bosses can order women to wear bras to work - Jan 13, 2011
- Pope recalls cruelty in Auschwitz Nazi camp - Jan 27, 2010
- Holocaust Era Mass Grave Unearthed, Shocks The World - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: central aim, discrimination, european countries, faruk, german institute, germans, germany during world war ii, holocaust, istanbul, jews in the holocaust, legal appeal, north rhine westphalia, overreaction, persecution of the jews, polarization, tageszeitung, turkish studies, turks in germany, western europe, world war ii