Turkey to produce rifles at homeJuly 5th, 2011 - 10:04 am ICT by IANS
Istanbul, July 5 (IANS) Turkey will domestically produce assault rifles for its armed forces that will eventually replace foreign-made ones currently in use, a media report said.
A prototype of a domestically-produced rifle was displayed Monday.
The rifle - that weighs 4.3 kg - uses 7.62 mm ammunition and has a range of 600 metres, the Hurriyet newspaper said.
Special units of the armed forces will be equipped with 50 rifles in the next four months to assess their performance in different climatic conditions, it said.
It took weapon experts three and a half years to research and produce the model.
Mass production will begin if the rifles prove successful. They are expected to replace the G3 rifles currently used by the Turkish Armed Forces.
- Russians get trained for Austrian sniper rifles - Dec 10, 2011
- Russia-Cuba to sign deal to make rifle ammunition - Dec 01, 2011
- Russia to build AK-47 ammunition factory in Cuba - Dec 02, 2011
- Indian Navy commandos to be armed with Israeli rifles - Jan 12, 2011
- Now 'Dirty Harry' bullet to kill Taliban - Aug 15, 2010
- UK military scientists develop "Dirty Harry" bullet for Brit troops to fight Taliban in Afghanistan - Aug 15, 2010
- Chinese supercomputer begins operations - Jan 20, 2012
- Turkey to build canal through Istanbul to aid sea traffic - Apr 28, 2011
- Brit bullets too small to beat high on opium Taliban militants - Oct 28, 2009
- Top militant leader surrenders in Meghalaya - Oct 08, 2010
- Three police personnel nabbed on suspicion of supplying arm to Maoists - May 01, 2010
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- Huge arms cache unearthed in Jammu's Reasi - Jul 20, 2012
- Iran starts mass production of anti-tank rockets - Aug 30, 2011
- New sub-machinegun can pierce bullet-proof jackets: DRDO - Feb 17, 2010