Turkey, Syria begin first joint military exerciseApril 27th, 2009 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, April 27 (DPA) Turkey Monday started its first joint military training exercise with neighbouring Syria, the Turkish general staff said.
The small-scale training exercises focussed on border protection and will last until Wednesday, said a spokesman for the general staff.
Turkey almost went to war with Syria in 1998 when Damascus sheltered Kurdish separatist leader Abdullah Ocalan, but ties between the two countries have improved in the past few years as Turkey has embraced a greater willingness to engage with all of its neighbours.
Turkey last year played a mediating role in indirect discussions between Turkey and Syria over the issue of Israel’s occupation of the Golan Heights.
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- 30 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jun 25, 2012
- Two former Army Generals charged in 2003 plot to topple Turkish Govt. - Feb 27, 2010
- Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clash - Jun 27, 2012
- Turkey denies fighter jet shot down by Syria - Jul 14, 2012
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkish military plane crashes in Mediterranean - Jun 22, 2012
- Turkish journalists released from Syria - May 13, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- 11 Turkish generals held for 1997 coup - May 10, 2012
- 12 Arabs killed for violating Golan Heights truce line - Jun 05, 2011
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- Syrian president threatening Israel is media provocation: Russia - Oct 06, 2011
- No hostility for Turkey: Syria (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: ankara, border protection, damascus, dpa, golan heights, israel, leader abdullah ocalan, military exercise, military training, neighbouring syria, neighbours, occupation, separatist leader, spokesman, ties, turkey, turkish general staff, willingness