Turkey says military operation against Kurds may last a yearFebruary 28th, 2008 - 11:33 pm ICT by admin
Ankara, Feb 28 (DPA) Turkey’s military operation in northern Iraq against Kurdish separatists could finish in as short a time as one day or take up to year, Turkish Chief of General Staff Yasar Buyukyanit said Thursday. On the sidelines of talks with US Defence Secretary Robert Gates in Ankara, Buyukyanit repeated Turkey’s promise that it would withdraw Turkish troops as soon as possible but refused to give a date, NTV television reported.
“The shortest time is a relative concept. It may be one day or it might mean a year,” Buyukyanit was quoted as saying.
Earlier, Gates said that Turkey should quickly wrap up its military incursion against Kurdish separatists in northern Iraq.
In order to stop “terror”, not just military but also economic and political initiatives must be made, he said.
Gates was quoted by CNN-Turk television as saying after talks with Defence Minister Vecdi Gonul that the Washington wanted the operation to be “short and precisely targeted”.
Gates was later scheduled to meet President Abdullah Gul and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Meanwhile, media reports quoted the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), fighting for a Kurdish homeland, as claiming to have killed Thursday 18 Turkish soldiers in a mountainous area.
There was no independent confirmation of the PKK claim..
By official Turkish military accounts, so far 230 PKK fighters and 24 Turkish soldiers had been killed since Turkey’s “Operation Gunes” incursion began on the night of Feb 21.
Up to 10,000 Turkish troops have entered into northern Iraq to carry out the operation.
The PKK is considered a terrorist organization by the United States and the European Union.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkey refuses to give timetable on withdrawal from Iraq - Feb 28, 2008
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- 6 killed in Turkey clash - Jun 22, 2010
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- Turkey's top army officials resign - Jul 30, 2011
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- US sanctions Kurdish separatists - Oct 15, 2009
- Turkish military confirms pullout from northern Iraq - Feb 29, 2008
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in Iraq - Jul 24, 2008
- 38 killed in PKK attack on Turkish border posts - Oct 04, 2008
- 49 killed during Turkish army incursion in northern Iraq - Feb 23, 2008
Tags: abdullah gul, cnn, cnn turk, defence secretary, gonul, gunes, independent confirmation, kurdistan workers party, military accounts, military operation, mountainous area, northern iraq, political initiatives, prime minister recep tayyip, recep tayyip erdogan, relative concept, robert gates, secretary robert, turkish soldiers, turkish troops