Turkey quake toll rises to 523

October 27th, 2011 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS  

Ankara, Oct 27 (IANS) The toll from Sunday’s powerful earthquake in Turkey has risen to 523 while 1,650 injured people are still being attended to, said Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Administration (AFAD) Thursday.

On Oct 23, a 7.2-magnitude quake led to the collapse of about 80 multi-storey buildings in Ercis, a town of 75,000 people close to the Iranian border, Xinhua reported.

Rescuers pulled out a 19-year-old alive from the rubble of a collapsed building four days after the earthquake, local NTV news channel reported. He is the first to be pulled out alive since rescuers evacuated a university student and two teachers Wednesday.

So far, 816 search and rescue members, 886 health personnel, 18 sniffer dogs, 145 ambulances including seven ambulance planes, 11 mobile hospitals, over 18,000 tents, 95 mobile toilets, 60 pre-fabricated huts, over 84,000 blankets, 1,130 quilts and 36 mobile kitchens have been dispatched to the quake-hit zone, the AFAD stated Wednesday evening.

On Wednesday, Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan acknowledged that his government had exhibited some failures in response to the earthquake on the first day.

“I admit that we failed in the beginning within the first 24 hours. But this is normal. This happens all around the world,” Erdogan said, adding that the situation now is almost completely under control.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe