Turkey busts Al Qaeda cell, arrests 41April 12th, 2011 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul, April 12 (IANS) Turkish security forces Tuesday busted an Al Qaeda cell in Istanbul and arrested 41 militants, including a rebel leader, Xinhua reported.
Raids were conducted simultaneously in 50 different locations across the country, including Istanbul’s Bagcilar, Esenler and Kartal districts. The police were assisted by special forces teams in the operations.
Halis Bayancuk, the alleged leader of the Al Qaeda in Turkey, was among the militants detained.
A local media report said that the Al Qaeda militants were planning an attack when they were apprehended.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Five killed in Istanbul accident - Oct 22, 2011
- Turkish police arrest 20 suspected Al Qaeda militants - Jan 18, 2010
- 120 suspected Al Qaeda members arrested in Turkey - Jan 22, 2010
- Bodies of Turkish pilots killed in Syria shooting found - Jul 05, 2012
- Turkey objects to NATO military intervention in Libya - Mar 14, 2011
- Top Al Qaeda militant killed in Chechnya - May 05, 2011
- Turkey to hold political dialogue with EU - Jun 07, 2012
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- 11 Turkish generals held for 1997 coup - May 10, 2012
- 28 Al Qaeda men arrested in Yemen - Sep 23, 2010
- Turkey sees huge potential in ties with India - Mar 24, 2012
- Top Al Qaeda strategist killed in Pakistan? - Jun 05, 2012
- 20 killed in Pakistan attack - Jun 09, 2011
- People saved from burning ship off Turkey - Aug 04, 2012