Tunisia extradites ex-Libyan prime ministerJune 25th, 2012 - 10:46 am ICT by IANS
Tunis/Tripoli, June 25 (IANS) Libya’s ex-prime minister Baghdadi Mahmoudi, who served under slain leader Muammar Gaddafi, has been extradited from Tunisia to his native country, state-run TAP press agency reported.
Mahmoudi had fled to neighbouring Tunisia during the uprising against Gaddafi but was arrested in September 2011, Xinhua reported.
According to Tunisia’s Radio Mosaique FM, the ex-prime minister was immediately taken into custody by Libyan authorities upon arriving in the capital Tripoli Sunday.
Mahmoudi had been held in a prison close to Tunis since a court ruled on his extradition after the Libyan authorities made two requests to the Tunisian government.
Several international rights groups had opposed Tunisia’s extradition decision, arguing that Mahmoudi would not be given a fair trial in Libya and could face torture or even execution.
Earlier this month, Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali said the extradition decision was irrevocable, despite the protests by the rights group and Mahmoudi who said the extradition would mean immediate death penalty.
- Tunisia to extradite former Libyan PM - May 23, 2012
- Gaddafi's family not in Tunisia: Official - Aug 20, 2011
- Order will be restored in Libya, says Tunisia - Oct 22, 2011
- Ex-Libyan prime minister jailed in Tunisia - Sep 23, 2011
- Libya seeks Moscow's role in peaceful settlement to conflict - Apr 25, 2011
- Hillary Clinton to go on four-nation trip - Feb 22, 2012
- Turmoil rages in Libya, UN slaps sanctions (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2011
- People love me, says Gaddafi as Arab world simmers (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2011
- UN chief urges political solution to Libyan crisis - Aug 11, 2011
- UN chief urges political solution to Libyan crisis - Jul 19, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- Gaddafi plans to blow up Tripoli if captured - Jul 14, 2011
- Fugitive Libyan ex-spy chief extradited from Mauritania - Sep 06, 2012
- Arab world on boil, US imposes sanctions on Libya (Roundup) - Feb 26, 2011
- Gaddafi ready to accept ceasefire plan: Zuma - May 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,