Tsunamis in the past 10 yearsMarch 11th, 2011 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 11 (IANS) A massive earthquake measuring 8.9 magnitude on the Richter scale hit Japan Friday, triggering a 10-metre-high tsunami that washed away houses and buildings and inundated large areas.
The following is a chronology of major tsunamis triggered by earthquakes around the world in the past 10 years:
In June, 2001, at least 78 people were killed by a tsunami caused by a magnitude-8.4 earthquake in southern Peru. The direct economic loss totalled about $300 million.
On Dec 26, 2004, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake struck off the Indonesian island of Sumatra, triggering a tsunami that killed tens of thousands of people in several countries.
On July 17, 2006, a magnitude-6.8 earthquake occurred off the coast of Indonesia’s West Java, triggering a tsunami that killed 668 people, injured at least 1,438 and left about 74,000 people homeless.
On April 2, 2007, more than 50 people died and thousands of people were evacuated in the Solomon Islands when the area was hit by a tsunami caused by a magnitude-8.0 earthquake.
On Sep 29, 2009, a strong earthquake measuring 8.0 on the Richter scale struck the Pacific island nation of Samoa, causing a tsunami that killed at least 184 people.
On Jan 4, 2010, two powerful earthquakes measuring 6.5 and 7.2 on the Richter scale hit the western part of the Solomon Islands, followed by a number of smaller quakes. It triggered a tsunami that left about 1,000 homeless.
On Feb 27, 2010, an 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit Chile, triggering tsunami warnings along the coasts of the Pacific Ocean.
On Oct 25, 2010, at least 509 people were killed and 21 went missing after a tsunami unleashed by a 7.2 magnitude quake jolted the island of Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Chronology of world's major quakes since 1900 - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes southwest of Sumatra, no damage - Aug 23, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Powerful earthquake, small tsunamis hit Indonesia - Oct 26, 2010
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off Indonesia's Sumatra - Jan 26, 2011
- Strong quake hits off Southern Sumatra - Jan 18, 2011
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the Banda Sea in Indonesia, no damage - Nov 17, 2010
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, southwest of Vanuatu - May 11, 2011
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Five killed in Indonesian quakes (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: chronology, coasts, earthquakes around the world, economic loss, indonesian island, island of sumatra, july 17, magnitude earthquake, magnitude quake, massive earthquake, pacific island nation, pacific ocean, powerful earthquakes, quakes, richter scale, solomon islands, southern peru, sumatra indonesia, tsunami warnings, west java