Tsonga stamps his comeback authority on NiemimenJanuary 7th, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Brisbane, Jan 7 (DPA) Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga recovered from a horror start to impose his game on fighting Finn Jarkko Nieminen for a 0-6, 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-5) win into the quarter-finals of the Brisbane International Wednesday. The Frenchman looked like becoming an upset statistic like top seed Novak Djokovic the day before. But he took the contest in hand against 41st-ranked Niemimen, who won their only other encounter a year ago when the event was played in Adelaide.
Tsonga was joined as a winner by third-seeded Spaniard Fernando Verdasco, who beat Croatian Mario Ancic 6-2, 6-3 in plenty of time to front up in the stands for the match of his girlfriend, top-seeded Serb Ana Ivanovic.
French players continued their charge through the field, with Paul-Henri Mathieu ousting Ernests Gulbis 6-3, 6-4 a day after the Latvian shocked Djokovic in the first round. Florent Serra of France stopped Austrian Jurgen Melzer 6-4, 6-3.
In women’s play, it was a narrow escape as France’s Julie Coin almost cashed in against former Australian Open winner Amelie Mauresmo.
The fifth seed had to save four match points in a massive third-set effort to go through after trailing 5-2 in the final set.
Mauresmo finally prevailed in a narrow escape 5-7 6-2 7-6 (13-11) taking more than three hours to stop Coin, who also lost to Mauresmo in the US Open third round.
Mauresmo’s win was the longest of her WTA career. “I don’t know what to say, I’m just glad that I won,” said the 29-year-old. “It would have been a missed occasion.”
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Murray makes promising US Open start with Gulbis beat-down - Sep 02, 2009
- US Open: Tsonga stunned by Slovak Klizan - Aug 31, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- American duo Huber-Raymond wins US Open women's doubles - Sep 12, 2011
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic sails into 3rd round - Jan 19, 2012