Tsonga beats Djokovic to win maiden title in ThailandSeptember 28th, 2008 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, Sep 28 (DPA) Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga lifted the first title of his career Sunday defeating Novak Djokovic with a 7-6, 7-4, 6-4 in the Thailand Open final.”No, I didn’t believe that I would win,” confessed the world number 20, playing in only his second tournament since missing three months with knee surgery.
“I played unbelievable, like a dream. But you are obliged to do this against an opponent like Novak. It was a really tough win for me.”
Tsonga’s victory in just over 90 minutes earned his sweet revenge for a loss in his only other final, going down to Djokovic eight months ago in the Australian Open title match.
The Swiss-based French youngster improved to 23-9 on the season.
Tsonga withstood the pressure in the final game after breaking world number three Djokovic for 5-4 in the second set.
The Frenchman saved a pair of break-back points in a row and then one more before Djokovic sailed a return long to lose.
“I couldn’t do it today, I lost to a great player,” said Djokovic, who stands 10-6 in career finals after failing in a bid to claim his fourth trophy of this season.
“But all credit to Jo for winning his first title. I’m sure we will be seeing a lot more of him. He did a great job today.”
Djokovic was playing Bangkok for the first time in four years after losing in the first round in 2008. Tsonga improved to 5-6 lifetime against Top 10 players.
In the first set, Djokovic claimed the first break of the match in the third game but found himself back on level-pegging as his French opponent squared the contest at 4-4.
The pair exchanged love games in the ninth and tenth for 5-5 before Tsonga kept pace to force a tiebreaker.
The second seed swept ahead 3-0 only to allow Djokovic back in, with Tsonga then squaring a 4-4 with an ace.
Tsonga seized two set points with a drop volley winner and sent an untouchable return to the Serb’s backhand to lift the set after 56 minutes of battle in the opener.
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Britain's Murray reaches semis - Aug 02, 2012
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Djokovic reaches Wimbledon final, claims No.1 ranking - Jul 02, 2011
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Federer to take on Tsonga in Paris final - Nov 13, 2011
- Federer wins his first Paris Masters 1000 title - Nov 14, 2011
- US Open: Tsonga stunned by Slovak Klizan - Aug 31, 2012
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Berdych knocks out Murray, meets Federer in semis, Djokovic pulls out - Nov 12, 2011
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012