Trump not a “serious” presidential candidate: Republican senator McCainMay 2nd, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 2 (ANI): Arizona Senator John McCain has said that Donald Trump cannot be perceived as a “serious” Republican presidential contender.
He argued that while the business magnate seemed to be “having a lot of fun,” the GOP had “very serious” candidates in the field who would be focusing on more serious issues.
“I think Mr. Trump is having a lot of fun. It’s “pretty clear he enjoys the limelight,” the CBS News quoted McCain, as saying.
“We have very serious candidates. I think that if Trump wants to run, he’s welcome to run,” he added.
McCain said he would not “accuse” Trump of playing the “race card” in his recent suggestions that President Barack Obama may not have been qualified to get into Harvard, but emphasized that presidential candidates should be more focused on discussions around the U.S. economy, not Obama’s college transcript.
“All of this is so unnecessary. With unemployment where it is, with the challenges we face, let’s not have a national conversation about that,” McCain said pointing out Trump’s comment on Obama’s educational background and birth place.
“Let’s have the national conversation about the upcoming debt limit which is going to be the subject of many of your shows in the next few weeks. That’s what we ought to be focusing our attention on,” he added. (ANI)
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Michele Bachmann to meet Donald Trump again - Nov 21, 2011
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- Donald Trump decides against running for president in 2012 - May 17, 2011
- John McCain supports Paul Ryan - Aug 13, 2012
- Democrats not happy with Romney's first TV ad - Nov 22, 2011
- McCain lauds improving security in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Obama has "learned a lot" in two years of presidency: McCain - Jan 24, 2011
- Poll: More than 6 in 10 would not vote for Trump, Palin - Apr 27, 2011
- McCain's visit sparks debate in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2011
- McCain opts out of 2012 GOP presidential candidature endorsements - Feb 04, 2011
- Obama heading for political trench warfare between 2010 and 2012 - Nov 14, 2010
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- McCain points to Pakistan military, terror groups link - Aug 18, 2011
- Bin-Laden's death a 'wake-up call' for GOP contenders intending to defeat Obama - May 04, 2011
Tags: arizona senator john mccain, barack obama, birth place, business magnate, cbs news, college transcript, debt limit, donald trump, educational background, gop, john mccain, limelight, national conversation, presidential candidate, presidential candidates, presidential contender, republican senator, s college, senator john mccain, senator mccain