Trucker whose texting caused woman’s death jailedDecember 12th, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 12 (IANS) A lorry driver in Britain has been sentenced to five years in prison for causing a woman’s death in a motorway pile-up that resulted from his driving while sending a text message.
The 22-year-old Jemma O’Sullivan suffered fatal injuries when a lorry being driven by Christopher Kane, 67, rammed into the back of the car she was travelling in, the Daily Express reported.
Kane was texting on his mobile phone at the time while driving his Mercedes lorry at about 90 kmph on the M18, a motorway in Yorkshire, near Doncaster town, the court heard.
The truck collided with a van carrying O’Sullivan and her boyfriend Alan Godfrey, who was seriously hurt.
Their car then hit another lorry, which overturned and collided with a van. The lorry’s driver, his passenger and the van’s driver all suffered injuries.
Kane, who admitted to have caused the death by dangerous driving last Sep 3, was jailed at the Doncaster Crown Court and also banned from driving for five years.
- Mum let off after car crash kills baby - Nov 26, 2011
- Formula One drivers pay tributes to Wheldon and Simoncelli - Oct 29, 2011
- O'Sullivan beats Carter to win fourth world snooker crown - May 08, 2012
- UK truckers caught drinking lager, texting on phones while driving - Jan 15, 2011
- Mark Williams in last 16 of snooker worlds - Apr 27, 2012
- Dumped by girlfriend, man feeds her hamster to dog - Apr 26, 2012
- BMW Drivers are Named the UK's Angriest Motorists - Oct 16, 2010
- O'Sullivan puts one foot in snooker final - May 05, 2012
- Advani in second round - Aug 10, 2012
- Carter, O'Sullivan set up second final encounter at snooker - May 06, 2012
- O'Sullivan reaches World snooker semis - May 03, 2012
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
- Two critical in Mumbai drunk driving accident - Apr 01, 2012
- 35 injured in multiple vehicle collision in Britain - Nov 05, 2011
- Jemma Benjamin dies after her first kiss - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: christopher kane, crown court, daily express, fatal injuries, godfrey, kmph, london, lorry driver, m18, mercedes, mobile phone, o sullivan, pile up, s driver, sending a text message, texting, trucker, yorkshire