Truck bomb attack kills 25 in IraqJune 20th, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, June 20 (DPA) At least 25 people were killed when a truck packed with explosives detonated outside a mosque near the disputed northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk Saturday, the police said.
At least 110 others were wounded in the blast outside the Shia Rasul mosque in Taza, some 30 km south of Kirkuk, police in Kirkuk told DPA.
Police added that the explosion caused “severe damage” to the mosque and nearby buildings, and that casualties were still arriving at hospitals in Kirkuk.
Taza is predominantly populated by members of Iraq’s Turkoman minority.
Kirkuk, with its rich oil reserves, has for decades been the subject of dispute between Iraqi Kurds, many of whom hope to make it the capital of an independent Kurdistan, and the government in Baghdad, which views it as an integral part of Iraq.
Turkoman parties have vehemently opposed the city’s incorporation into an independent Kurdistan. In July 2008, a spokesman for the Turkoman Front told the Iraqi Kurdish newspaper Chawder that his constituents would “rather be part of China than Kurdistan”.
Thousands of Iraqis displaced from Kirkus in the Saddam era have returned to the area since the 2003 US invasion, but the country has repeatedly delayed taking a decision on Kirkuk’s future. The region did not participate in January’s provincial council elections.
- Truck bomb attack kills 65 people in Iraq (Lead) - Jun 21, 2009
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Dozens killed in Iraq bombing as US troops withdraw - Jun 30, 2009
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- High turnout in elections in Iraq's Kurdish region - Jul 26, 2009
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 55 killed, 300 wounded in Iraq bombings (Second lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Smugglers in Iraq Blunt Sanctions Against Tehran - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: chawder, constituents, dpa, independent kurdistan, iraq baghdad, iraqi city, kirkuk, kirkus, kurdish, kurdistan, kurds, mosque, nearby buildings, provincial council elections, rasul, rich oil reserves, shia, taza, truck bomb attack, turkoman