Troops to combat mafia in Italian cityOctober 7th, 2010 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Reggio Calabria (Italy), Oct 7 (IANS/AKI) A top government representative wants to deploy soldiers in this southern Italian city after a portable rocket launcher was sent to the city’s chief prosecutor.
Luigi Varratta in a meeting of security officials Wednesday proposed using troops to regain control of areas with a strong presence of the Calabrian mafia or Ndrangheta.
Police Tuesday discovered an unloaded M80 bazooka, a portable rocket launcher, under a mattress following an anonymous tip-off.
The caller told police to look near the city’s anti-mafia HQ for “a surprise” for chief prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone.
“The committee unanimously supported my proposal to ask for the presence of the army,” Varratta told reporters after the meeting.
“In this present moment, the area needs this presence, especially in light of yesterday’s (Tuesday) incident,” he said.
Varatta said the army presence would “not be very visible”. “There won’t be soldiers on the streets, they’ll just be guarding key buildings,” he said.
Pignatone and another judge who has been threatened, Prosecutor General Salvatore Di Landro, backed Varratta’s proposal.
A bomb in August damaged the entrance to Di Landro’s apartment in the city centre. blowing out windows in the vicinity but causing no injuries. In June, Di Landro’s driver found the bolts on his car tyres unscrewed from the axel.
Pignatone receive a letter containing three bullets sent to him by post in late May.
A successful crackdown against the Ndrangheta has sparked this year’s campaign of intimidation, according to investigators. It began in January with a firebomb that damaged the entrance to Reggio Calabria’s main courthouse, they said.
- Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdown - Nov 30, 2011
- Man held for attempted bomb attack on Italy president - Sep 21, 2010
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- Nearly 200 kg cocaine seized in Italy port - Sep 08, 2012
- Mafia assets worth 47 mn euro seized in Italy - May 20, 2011
- Flat seized from Italian mafia to become kids' home - Sep 07, 2012
- New book in Italy puts mafia on the map - Dec 06, 2009
- Four held for killing man and his four sons - Dec 29, 2010
- Fugitive mafia boss held after using Facebook - Mar 17, 2010
- 35 suspected members of Calabrian mafia arrested in northern Italy - Mar 14, 2011
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: anonymous tip, army presence, calabrian mafia, chief prosecutor, crackdown, firebomb, government representative, intimidation, italian city, landro, m80, ndrangheta, oct 7, present moment, prosecutor general, reggio calabria italy, rocket launcher, s driver, salvatore, security officials