Troops kill 11 Kurdish separatists in TurkeyMarch 13th, 2008 - 2:21 am ICT by admin
Ankara, March 13 (DPA) Eleven Kurdish guerrillas have been killed in clashes with troops in southeast Turkey, media reports said. CNN-Turk television reported that the fighting took place in the mountain ranges of Gabar, Kupeli and Kato in the southeast province of Sirnak near the border with Iraq.
One state-employed village guard was wounded in the clashes.
Turkish troops have been carrying out operations inside Turkey following the ending of “Operation Gunes” Feb 29 in which about 10,000 soldiers were sent across the border in Iraq to seek out PKK rebels and their camps.
According to the Turkish military, 240 PKK fighters, 24 Turkish soldiers and three state-employed village guards were killed in the weeklong operation.
Ankara blames the separatist group for the deaths of more than 32,000 people since the early 1980s when the PKK began its fight for independence or autonomy for the mainly Kurdish-populated southeast Turkey.
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkish air raid kills over 20 at Iraq border - Dec 29, 2011
- Seven Kurdish separatists killed in Turkey - Apr 02, 2008
- Turkish warplanes strike Kurdish separatists in Iraq - Jul 24, 2008
- Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish rebels in Iraq - Apr 16, 2008
- 13 rebels killed in Turkish air raids inside Iraq - Feb 13, 2009
- Turkish troops continue Iraq offensive - Feb 26, 2008
- Turkey refuses to give timetable on withdrawal from Iraq - Feb 28, 2008
- 10 Turkish soldiers, 10 PKK rebels killed in clashes - Oct 16, 2008
- Turkish war planes bomb Kurdish rebel hideouts in Iraq - Oct 18, 2008
- Abductions highlight Turkey's ongoing civil conflict - Jul 15, 2008
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish military confirms pullout from northern Iraq - Feb 29, 2008
- Turkish air force strikes Kurdish rebel positions in Iraq - May 03, 2008
Tags: 1980s, ankara, autonomy, clashes, cnn, cnn turk, dpa, feb 29, gabar, guerrillas, kato, kurdish separatists, mountain ranges, pkk, rebels, separatist group, sirnak, southeast turkey, turkish soldiers, turkish troops