Tribal group attacks Al Qaeda insurgents in IraqFebruary 18th, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, Feb 18 (DPA) A local tribal group in the northern Iraqi city of Samarra said Monday it killed a gunman wearing an explosive belt and arrested two suspected Al Qaeda insurgents in a raid on their hideout where a large weapons cache was seized. “The local police and a tribal force launched Sunday night a search operation in Jalam, east of Samarra, for members of Al Qaeda,” Mazen Yussif, the head of the group in Samarra, told DPA.
Three fighters fled after the shootout that erupted in their hideout where a big cache of weapons was found. It included 100 rocket propellers, 100 mortar guns, hundreds of rifles of various ranges, explosives, mines and explosive belts.
The weapons were found stored in boxes underground.
A US force took the weapons and the two arrested fighters to its headquarters.
Tribal forces known as Awakening Councils are US-funded civilian armed groups formed in Sunni Arab-dominated areas to fight insurgents from the al-Qaeda terrorist network. Some members of the groups are themselves former insurgents.
Their campaign against Al Qaeda has contributed to improving security in many Sunni areas and marked a significant development in Iraq in the past year. Under a US-backed plan, their members should join the regular security forces or find other jobs.
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 40 killed in Iraq, suicide attackers had Down Syndrome (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- 15 die in Iraq - Jul 23, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 36 killed in Baghdad suicide bombing - Jul 18, 2010
- US missile attack kills seven militants in Pakistan - Aug 15, 2010
- Suicide attack kills 11 in Pakistan, injures dozens (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2009
- Nine soldiers, 37 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2010
- Sunni leader assassinated in Iraq - Jun 06, 2011
- Eight killed in Iraq attacks - Jun 18, 2010
- 22 militants killed in Pakistan - Jul 11, 2010
- Osama plotted attacks on key US cities, railways (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Osama was planning attacks on US railways, big cities - May 06, 2011
- NATO denies firing mortars into Pakistan - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, baghdad, belts, dpa, explosives, group attacks, gunman, guns, hideout, improving security, insurgents in iraq, iraqi city, mazen, mortar, rifles, search operation, security forces, terrorist network, tribal group, weapons cache