Treasure hunter finds $3bn-worth platinum in shipwreckFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A US treasure hunter has announced a record find of Soviet platinum in a sunken World War II era shipwreck, BBC reported Thursday.
The wreck - of a British merchant vessel - is located 80 km off the US Atlantic coast in waters 213 metres deep, Greg Brooks of Sub Sea Research said.
Brooks said he had discovered the SS Port Nicholson, sunk in 1942 by a German torpedo, four years previously but delayed the announcement while he negotiated salvage rights.
The platinum bars, now estimated to be worth $3 billion, were payment from the Soviet Union to the US for war supplies.
But Anthony Shusta, an attorney for the British government, said he doubted the ship was carrying platinum, but that Britain may make a claim on the ship’s contents when the salvage attempt begins.
An operation to recover the treasure will start later this month.
“I’m going to get it, one way or another, even if I have to lift the ship out of the water,” BBC quoted Brooks as saying.
The Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences said they were not aware of the hoard but confirmed the Soviet government often used precious metals and minerals as payment during WWII.
In 1981, a British treasure hunter discovered a wreck of the British warship HMS Edinburgh laden with Soviet gold in the Arctic Ocean. The gold - which became known as Stalin’s gold - was due to be paid to the US for the arms it supplied.
- British shipwreck containing $3 bn treasure found (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 02, 2012
- £155m treasure trove discovered on shipwreck - Sep 27, 2011
- Russia could claim treasure from WW II shipwreck: Experts - Jan 30, 2009
- Treasure hunters eye underwater cultural heritage in Mexico - Feb 03, 2011
- Ring worth $500,000 recovered from sunken ship - Jun 26, 2011
- 50 tonnes of silver recovered from sea - Jul 20, 2012
- Expedition to survey World War II shipwrecks in "Graveyard of the Atlantic" - Aug 08, 2009
- Hundreds of bars of silver rescued from WWII shipwreck - Jul 19, 2012
- Irish archaeologists say Spanish Armada wreck found - Aug 06, 2011
- 'Priceless' art treasure looted by Nazis may have been found - Jan 19, 2010
- Spanish treasure lands after 200 years - Feb 27, 2012
- 188-yr-old 'Two Brothers' ship linked to 'Moby-Dick' discovered - Feb 12, 2011
- British shipwreck holds 2.6 billion pound treasure, explorers claim - Jan 25, 2009
- Goa's underwater relics under threat: Marine scientists - Jun 05, 2010
- Wreck of HMS Victory, containing golden treasure, found under English Channel - Feb 02, 2009
Tags: arctic ocean, british government, british merchant, british warship, greg brooks, hms, hms edinburgh, hoard, merchant vessel, port nicholson, precious metals, ria novosti, russian academy of sciences, russian history, sea research, shipwreck, soviet government, treasure hunter, war supplies, world war ii