Travel companies go back to risque adverts to boost salesOctober 14th, 2010 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct 14 (ANI): Travel companies are back to featuring risque adverts as they are being hit by the economic downturn and the competition.
According to the Wall Street Journal, airlines are the main offenders, as highlighted by Air France’s current advertising campaign.
Featuring a blonde model wearing only a corset with the strings appearing to be loosened by a tiny plane taking off.
And most of the real-life Cathay Pacific flight attendants that appear in the airline’s recent campaign, launched earlier this year, are attractive young Asian women posing in revealing outfits.
Add to the mix ads by numerous other airlines this year including Russian airline Avianova, which featured bikini-clad women washing planes, and Aeroflot’s calendar showing a flight attendant posing completely nude.
Not to forget UK airline Ryanair’s numerous raunchy calendars and Spirit Airlines’ controversial ad featuring oil-drenched women in bikinis.
There was a time when hot pants were a common marketing tool, until the 70’s ended.
Now it seems there has been a revival in sexy advertisements in the travel industry - even luggage company Samsonite has resorted to using images of a woman in a mini-skirt and high-heels to sell products.
The Flight Attendants Association of Australia has warned against a revival in sexy campaigns, that these erotic advertisements put cabin crew at risk of sexual harassment and abuse.
“This type of provocative advertising using cabin crew in this light is not tolerated in Australia and should not be acceptable anywhere else,” News.com.au quoted Secretary Jo-Ann Davidson as saying. (ANI)
- Raunchy ads 'put flight attendants at sexual abuse risk' - Jul 01, 2010
- RyanAir hostesses 'strip off' for charity - Nov 10, 2010
- Russian airline comes up with raunchiest ad ever - Jun 28, 2010
- Ryanair chief Michael O'Leary poses with porn star - Feb 27, 2010
- Ryanair trests cardiac arrest passenger with a sandwich - Aug 05, 2011
- Oz's flight attendants union calls for end to 'sex object' ads - Jul 03, 2010
- Airline flies man to Sweden instead of France - Jun 30, 2012
- Ryanair boss defends steamy charity calendar - Nov 12, 2009
- Russian stewardess fired for tweet on Sukhoi crash - May 11, 2012
- Vietnamese airliner hosts mid-air bikini pageant - Aug 09, 2012
- Sack airline boss to cut costs, says pilot - Sep 15, 2010
- Furious Ryanair passengers stage plane sit-in - Nov 18, 2010
- Ryanair slammed for 'fun in the sun' ads that led to chilly destinations - Apr 27, 2011
- Unpaid Spanish air hostesses strip off for saucy calendar in protest - Apr 01, 2010
- Men, women look differently at nude ads - Jul 17, 2011
Tags: aeroflot, air france, bikini clad women, blonde model, cabin crew, cathay pacific, common marketing, current advertising, economic downturn, flight attendants association, flight attendants association of australia, mini skirt, russian airline, ryanair, sexual harassment, spirit airlines, tiny plane, uk airline, wall street journal, women in bikinis