Trapped dogs survive after six days in 20ft holeJune 3rd, 2011 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 3 (IANS) Two dogs, who remained trapped 20 feet underground for six days, were finally rescued after round-the-clock endeavour by mountain and cave rescue teams to locate and free them, a media report here said.
The Terriers - Pip and Bracken - had slipped down a nine-inch crack in a Lake District cave May 26, before working themselves deeper and deeper into tunnels, Daily Express reported Friday.
They were finally lured by a dead fox cub used as bait on the end of a drain rod. The device also included a camera, and once the dogs were located they were winched to safety.
Owner Gordon Shaw said he had all but lost hope before mountain and cave rescue teams rescued the dogs from near their home in Appleby.
Shaw was hunting squirrels with the dogs when they fell into the crevice. He kept a day-and-night vigil at the spot, as up to 15 experienced rescuers made excavations and widened the narrow opening.
Heavy rain and mud further hindered their efforts.
He said: “When it all went quiet Monday and I couldn’t hear them any more, I thought I’d lost them.
“But we all gave it one last go, dug out the hill and found them alive.
Shaw’s wife Irene said: “They’re surprisingly okay for what they’ve been through. First thing we did was give them a good dinner and then let them sleep.”
- Prince William once again to the rescue - Aug 21, 2012
- Avalanche threat looms large over MiG search - Oct 28, 2011
- Dog plays mom to three tiger cubs - Jun 11, 2012
- Using dogs to 'sniff out' wildlife - Jan 12, 2011
- Dog, trapped for five days in tunnel, saved - Oct 20, 2011
- Massive combing operation on to locate crashed MiG-29 - Nov 04, 2011
- MiG wreckage still stuck in Himachal glacier - Oct 30, 2011
- Lithuanian cavers lost in world's deepest cave - Aug 04, 2012
- Dog walking 'one of UK's fastest-growing job' - Apr 10, 2011
- Robot squirrels battle rattlesnakes - Apr 05, 2012
- 12 puppies rescued from British refuse dump - Jul 26, 2011
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- Farmer's Small Dog Chases And Traps Mountain Lion - Nov 13, 2010
- Man climbing up frozen waterfall falls to death - Dec 28, 2010
- Pennsylvanian couple claims to have caught a purple squirrel - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: appleby, bracken, cave rescue, crevice, daily express, endeavour, excavations, gordon shaw, heavy rain, june 3, lake district, night vigil, pip, quiet monday, rescuers, six days, terriers, tunnels, two dogs, wife irene