Trapped Chilean miner had premonition of disasterSeptember 1st, 2010 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 1 (IANS) A teenaged miner — among the youngest of the 33 people trapped in a mine in Chile since Aug 5 — had a premonition that there would be a disaster, his girlfriend has said.
Jimmy Sanchez, 19, had noticed rock falls as he worked 2,300 feet below the ground at the San Jose gold and copper mine and warned his bosses, said Helen Avalos, 17, his girlfriend and mother of his two-month-old daughter.
The miners have been trapped since Aug 5 when a tunnel collapsed at the mine, located about 700 km north of Chilean capital Santiago.
“He was afraid every time he went down there and he said he had this feeling that something terrible was about to happen. Jimmy was terrified there might be an earthquake and he could get trapped. They warned their bosses, but nobody would listen. Nobody cared for their safety,” Helen was quoted as saying by The Sun.
Helen and their daughter Barbara are now staying in tents put up near the pit.
A 31-tonne drill has begun boring through the solid rock to create a rescue tunnel. It would descend up to 50 feet a day, making a hole through which the men will be pulled up in a cage one at a time. But the process may take around four months.
- Youngest Chile miner foresaw mine disaster - Sep 01, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners to watch videos of great football matches to maintain sanity - Aug 27, 2010
- All 33 trapped Chilean miners pulled to safety - Oct 14, 2010
- Chilean President Sebastian Pinera says that 33 miners are still alive in the shelter - Aug 23, 2010
- Sebastian Pinera, Chilean President Attends Rescue Mission - Oct 14, 2010
- Chilean Miners Making It To Safety One By One - Oct 13, 2010
- Chile 'Miracle 33' miners to start souvenir brand - Jul 30, 2012
- Trapped Chilean miners discussed cannibalism - Oct 11, 2011
- Trapped Chilean miners could be freed by November - Sep 17, 2010
- NASA's space-age role in trapped Chile miners rescue operation - Oct 14, 2010
- Trapped Chile miner writes poem on his experience - Sep 04, 2010
- Miracle as first of 33 trapped Chilean miners pulled to safety - Oct 13, 2010
- Trapped miners get dirty jokes to lift their spirit! - Sep 04, 2010
- Trapped Chile miner to miss baby's birth - Aug 30, 2010
- Nine miners trapped in Peru - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: avalos, chile, chilean capital, copper mine, daughter barbara, disaster, earthquake, four months, girlfriend, gold, jimmy sanchez, london, miners, one at a time, premonition, santiago, something terrible, sun, tents, tonne