Trains back on Kalka-Shimla world heritage railwaySeptember 26th, 2008 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 26 (IANS) All the five trains were back on the world heritage Kalka-Shimla rail line in Himachal Pradesh Friday morning, a senior railway official said.The rail traffic remained disrupted during the last six days as heavy rain had damaged the tracks at various points.
“The traffic on the 96-km-long narrow gauge railroad was restored this (Friday) morning,” Shimla station superintendent P.S. Gill told IANS.
The five trains - 1-KS, 251, 241, 253 and 256 - plying between Kalka in Haryana and Shimla, the capital of the hill state, had to be suspended due to massive landslides between Shimla and Koti railway stations. The worst hit was Kainthlighat area where a 25-metre stretch of track was damaged.
The century-old rail line built in the British era has been chosen by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation as a world heritage site.
The scenic journey along the rail line from 640 metres above sea level at Kalka to Shimla at 2,060 metres attracts large number of tourists every year.
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Forest fire disrupts Kalka-Shimla rail traffic - Apr 19, 2010
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stopped - Jul 09, 2009
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Kalka-Shimla world heritage rail track remains closed - Sep 24, 2008
- Trains back on Kalka-Shimla railway line - Dec 22, 2008
- Love on track - on Kalka-Shimla train - Apr 29, 2010
- Group travel? Charter a train to Shimla (With Images) - May 17, 2010