“Towel Day” Being Celebrated All Over The World TodayMay 25th, 2010 - 7:59 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
May 25, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Today is the 25th of May. It is the day to celebrate “Towel Day” in honor of author Douglas Adams. The famous writer of geek literature wrote in his book “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” that a towel is one of the most important things that a hitchhiker needs in everyday life. Keeping this in mind, all Douglas Adams fans have dedicated one day for him as the “Towel Day”.
The 25th May celebrations were first started by D. Clyde Williamson. After the death of the author back in the year 2001 on the 14th of May, his fans came together and pledged to keep aside the 25th of May each year for the purpose of propagating the works of Douglas Adams. The question often asked is what do the lovers of Douglas Adams’ books do with a towel on their shoulders on this day. It is said that the towel is the instrument used by these people to spread the message imparted by the author in his popular book “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”. The towel is the weapon used by the author’s fans to attract the other people towards the books and writings of Douglas Adams.
“The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” is a literary production of the popular British radio series of the same name. This book is supposed to have taken Douglas Adams to the heights of glory during the 1970s. His unfortunate death at the early age of 49 shocked the world and since then the “Towel Day” has been celebrated in honor of the author every year.
- Penguin boss game to take on ebook, iPad revolution - Jul 30, 2010
- Clyde Drexler Makes An Appearance On "Celebrity Apprentice" - Apr 12, 2010
- Revered but not read, is Tagore reserve of the purist? - May 10, 2011
- 12-day Kolkata Book Fair kicks off - Jan 24, 2012
- Will Smith is the victim of an Internet death hoax - Jun 02, 2011
- Is e-reader sounding paperback's death knell? - Apr 13, 2012
- J K Rowling's handwritten Potter pages to be displayed at book festival - Sep 19, 2010
- Bill Nighy had turned down the role of Doctor Who - Jun 05, 2012
- Penguin's annual 'Spring Lit Fest' in Delhi March 16 - Mar 09, 2012
- Tagore's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - May 08, 2012
- Pritish Nandy Comes Up With His Book Of Poems 'Again' - May 28, 2010
- Special 'Gitanjali' to mark Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - Feb 04, 2012
- Manto, a forgotten man in his Punjab village - May 09, 2012
- Bigots hissed, but no stopping carnival of letters (Lit Fest Review) - Jan 25, 2012
- Literary carnival over, wait for next year begins (Letter from Jaipur lit fest) - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: 1970s, author douglas adams, british radio, celebrations, douglas adams, douglas adams fans, everyday life, famous writer, gina gomez, guide to the galaxy, hitchhiker, important things, literature, news today, radio series, shoulders, towel day, unfortunate death, world today, year 2001