Tourist killed, six injured in Gulmarg explosion (Second Lead)July 20th, 2008 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 20 (IANS) One tourist was killed and six other people were wounded Sunday afternoon in a powerful explosion after militants lobbed a grenade near a bus stand in Jammu and Kashmir’s Gulmarg resort, the police said. Militants tossed a grenade near the bus stand in the mountain resort of Gulmarg, 45 km from here, Sunday. The grenade exploded close to a tourist bus, a police official said.
“Seven people, including two domestic tourists and five locals, were injured in the explosion. All the injured were taken by the police to a Tangmarg hospital, where a critically injured tourist Ashok Kumar from Uttar Pradesh succumbed to his injuries,” a police officer told IANS.
He said the condition of one more injured person was serious.
The blast triggered panic and tension in the tourist resort famous for its breathtaking beauty and skiing slopes.
The mountain resort is the favourite destination of domestic and foreign tourists who throng the Valley.
The inflow of tourists has dropped drastically after the ten-day long protests here against the allotment of land to the Amarnath Shrine board which was cancelled by the state government.
Sunday’s blast came a day after nine army men were killed in a powerful road side bomb at Narbal on the Srinagar Uri highway.
- Two killed in Kashmir bus accident - Jul 11, 2012
- Two killed in Gulmarg blast, Amarnath route closed after firing (Third Lead) - Jul 21, 2008
- Seven foreigners among 10 rescued from Kashmir avalanche - Jan 22, 2012
- Three hurt in Kashmir grenade attack - May 19, 2012
- Five injured in Imphal grenade attack - Nov 06, 2011
- Foreign skiers crowd Manali slopes - Feb 06, 2012
- Grenade blasts rock Sopore town in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2011
- School bus in Kashmir rolls into gorge, 3 killed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Avalanche warning issued in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- Two killed, two injured in Kashmir explosion - Aug 25, 2011
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- International skiers promotes heli-skiing in Kashmir - Mar 08, 2010
- One civilian injured in grenade attack in Kashmir - Jan 27, 2012
- Cold wave freezes Kashmir, Leh minus 12.6 - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: allotment, amarnath shrine, army men, ashok kumar, breathtaking beauty, domestic tourists, grenade, inflow, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, militants, police officer, police official, shrine board, slopes, state government, sunday afternoon, tourist bus, tourist resort, uttar pradesh