Tour de France cyclists warned about dopingJuly 5th, 2008 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Brest (France), July 5 (DPA) French anti-doping supremo Pierre Bordry issued a stern warning to riders on the eve of Tour de France cycling tournament to stay away from forbidden substances and methods. Bordry expressed his hope Friday that “everyone has understood” that drug testing had reached a new level after the famed race had been plagued by doping in the past years.
Riders chosen randomly will be tested after each stage at the 95th edition, tests will include those for Human Growth Hormone, and hair tests are also conducted on top of urine and blood samples.
Overall, around 180 tests will take place during the three-week race that starts Saturday and runs until July 27. Italian authorities are also involved as the Tour runs through Italy as well.
Tests are carried out by the French anti-doping agency AFLD after Tour organisers, the ASO company, broke away from the ruling cycling body UCI after several disputes.
The Tour has been rocked by doping in past years.
The original 2006 winner Floyd Landis is serving a doping ban and was stripped of his title.
The 2007 champion Alberto Contador cannot compete because of the drug-tainted past of his Astana team which was ousted from the Tour after a positive test of top rider Alexandre Vinokourov.
Also last year, Dane Mikael Rasmussen had to quit as overall leader after lying to his team about his whereabouts.
Bjarne Riis was stripped of his 1996 title after admitting to doping and this year’s edition comes 10 years after the Festina team was kicked out during the race over doping.
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Armstrong team given special treatment by UCI during Tour - Oct 05, 2009
- Tour de France dope tests 'flawed', says French anti-doping agency head - Jul 04, 2010
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
- Tour de France winner Alberto Contador receives one-year doping ban - Jan 27, 2011
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Samples of 2008 Tour de France riders to be analayzed again - Jul 26, 2009
- Tour de France champ Contador vows to fight doping charge, possible suspension - Jan 29, 2011
- Tour de France champion cyclist Contador cleared of doping charges - Feb 16, 2011
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Stunning ride by Contador turns Vuelta on its head - Sep 06, 2012
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
Tags: 10 years, alberto contador, alexandre vinokourov, astana team, bjarne riis, blood samples, brest france, champion, cyclists, dpa, drug testing, floyd landis, hair tests, human growth hormone, italian authorities, mikael rasmussen, pierre bordry, tour de france, tour organisers, uci