Tory Govt. will stop 39 million pound a year aid to ChinaOctober 1st, 2008 - 6:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 1 (ANI): Britain will stop giving China nearly 39 million pound a year in aid, the Tories will promise today.
They will say it is unacceptable to hand cash to a country which spent more than 20 billion pound on the Beijing Olympics - and put a man in space this week, The Sun reported.
Despite its massive wealth, the UK gave China 38.6 million pound in aid last year.
Shadow International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell will tell the conference: Many British taxpayers would be astonished to learn that we are still giving aid to China.
Our aid budget is the fruit of the hard work of British people. It must be spent wisely. That means it must be targeted on the countries and peoples who need it most. No money for China, more for the very poorest in the world, he added. (ANI)
- UK to continue aid to India, terminates aid to 16 other nations - Feb 28, 2011
- UK likely to scrap aid to India, increase Burma's share to fight for democracy - Feb 14, 2011
- Millions in UK overseas aid 'being ripped off', claims watchdog report - Apr 06, 2011
- How EU wastes aid billions in Africa revealed - Apr 18, 2011
- UK's aid to India despite latter having booming economy raises concerns - Apr 24, 2011
- Britain warns African nations over gay persecution - Oct 09, 2011
- EU spends millions on office in Barbados - Jul 30, 2012
- UK may shell out millions to Gitmo suspects to settle torture claims - Jul 07, 2010
- Britain to give Bangladesh $350 mn aid - Jan 16, 2012
- Science can help fight poverty in India: NGO - Oct 14, 2011
- UK lawyers were paid 11 m pounds to fight failed immigration cases - Apr 17, 2011
- British bank chief criticized over bonus - Jan 28, 2012
- 'Pay me 10,000 pounds for access to British PM' - Jan 15, 2012
- British bank chief's high bonus criticized (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Sacks with British flag to be used to send aid - Jun 25, 2012