Torrential rains cause havoc in PunjabAugust 14th, 2008 - 10:48 pm ICT by ANI
Anandpur Sahib (Punjab), August 14 (ANI): Heavy downpour for the two days has thrown life out of gear in Punjab . It has also led to inundation in several districts of the State.
At least five people are reported to have died in various parts of the state due to flooding and house collapse.
Following rise in river level panic has gripped villages alongside the Sutlej river.
Life in around 10-12 villages in Rupnagar district has come to a standstill due to flooding.
Major dams like the Bhakra Dam on the Sutlej river, the Pong Dam on the Beas river and the Maharaja Ranjit Singh Dam on the Ravi river are brimming.
State government officials said that they might release water from the dams to avoid a situation like that of 1988 when water released from the Bhakra Dam flooded Ferozepur and its neighbouring areas. They said that the situation is being monitored to take care of any eventuality.
Meanwhile, the villagers affected by floods have complained of inaction by the government authorities.
After 20 years there has been a flood like this. We have suffered a huge loss. The government is doing nothing, said Harsit Singh, Villager.
Heavy monsoon rains in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh as well as in Punjab has contributed to the rising water level in rivulets and dams. Earlier this month several villages in Nurpur Bedi area in the state had been flooded.
Every year, monsoon rains leave a trail of death and destruction across India , yet much of the economy of a largely agricultural region depends on the monsoon. (ANI)
- Punjab cautions against possibility of floods - Aug 17, 2011
- Dam discharge floods low-lying areas in Punjab - Aug 21, 2011
- Bhakra, Pong dams still short of water - Sep 17, 2012
- Flood gates opened at Himachal's Pong Dam - Aug 18, 2011
- Bhakra, Pong level crosses capacity mark - Sep 19, 2011
- Bhakra Dam reservoir's water level rises - Aug 25, 2011
- Now, excess water dispute between India and Pakistan - Aug 27, 2010
- Bhakra water level rises, flood threatens Punjab, Haryana - Aug 24, 2010
- Bhakra, Pong dam water levels near top - Sep 08, 2011
- Thousands flee after Punjab floods - Aug 25, 2010
- Flood threat over Punjab, Haryana towns (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Process to release water from Bhakra Dam starts - Aug 21, 2010
- Water in Himachal's Pong dam to rise again - Sep 23, 2010
- Water rises in Himachal's Pong dam - Aug 21, 2012
- Bhakra Dam water level nearing danger mark - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: agricultural region, anandpur sahib, beas river, bhakra dam, cause havoc, death and destruction, eventuality, government authorities, heavy downpour, heavy monsoon rains, maharaja ranjit singh, neighbouring areas, ravi river, rising water, rivulets, state government officials, sutlej river, torrential rains, trail of death, villager