Toronto Burlesque Festival to showcase ‘Naked Girls Reading’July 21st, 2010 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
Toronto, July 21 (ANI): Toronto Burlesque Festival has come up with an item called as “Naked Girls Reading”, which will literally feature nude women reading books.
The five-day, third-annual festival will be taking place at the Gladstone Hotel on July 21, and the “Naked Girls Reading” is the newest event in the burlesque revival.
The idea for the show came about when Chicago photographer/writer Franky Vivid commented that he liked the image of his naked wife, burlesque superstar Michelle L’amour, reading a book.
The couple began to think about NGR as a form of entertainment, and considered then rejected a pay-per-view website as being too prurient.
Then they hit upon the idea of a tasteful, old-style salon, and decided to hold sessions at L’amour’s studio.
“We hold the series every month at my studio. Each evening has a theme, and each girl selects her own material, which can come from fiction, non-fiction, song lyrics or poetry,” the Globe and Mail quoted L’amour as saying.
“The work is close to the heart. We have an emotional connection to the pieces we have chosen,” she added.
NGR first came to Toronto in March when the strip divas of Skin Tight Outta Sight Rebel Burlesque held their first salon.
The format is generally four or five readers who take 10-minute turns, ending with a group read from a common book. The readers usually perch demurely on a chaise.
The theme of the 2010 festival is ‘MeTOPolis: The Future of Burlesque’, and so the readings are science fiction. (ANI)
- Books for India's young adults turn new page - Mar 05, 2011
- New Indian novels mirror contemporary man-woman relationships - May 16, 2012
- 10-day spring literary carnival in Delhi from March 4 - Mar 02, 2011
- Pakistani writer recalls Indian heritage of storytelling - Apr 17, 2012
- I love Tagore, R.K. Narayan: Pulitzer winner Richard Ford (Interview) - Feb 05, 2011
- I write for Indian readers: Ashwin Sanghi - Oct 02, 2011
- Simon & Schuster eyes India's digital reading space - Sep 22, 2011
- 53rd Annual Grammy Awards Winners List - Feb 14, 2011
- History back on shelves with a dash of drama - Apr 05, 2012
- Penguin's annual 'Spring Lit Fest' in Delhi March 16 - Mar 09, 2012
- Eric Rohmer dies aged 89 years - Jan 12, 2010
- Eyeing English readers, best-selling foreign authors head to India - Oct 22, 2010
- Indian languages fest ends - Dec 18, 2011
- Young, creative - male 'chick lit' writers are here (Feature) - Oct 02, 2011
- For those with wanderlust, Delhi Book Fair is the stop - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: chaise, chicago photographer, close to the heart, divas, emotional connection, gladstone hotel, globe and mail, naked girls, naked wife, ngr, non fiction, nude women, old style, pay per view, reading a book, reading books, revival, science fiction, showcase, song lyrics