Tornados, wildfires leave eight dead in USApril 11th, 2009 - 10:09 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 11 (DPA) A wave of violent spring weather across the US left at least eight people dead and dozens more injured, after severe storms spawned tornadoes in the south and wildfires burned in the southcentral states of Oklahoma and Texas.
A mother and her infant daughter were killed when a tornado touched down in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, Friday afternoon, the Daily News Journal reported.
Tornado warnings were also issued across the southern states of Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina late Friday, the National Weather Service said. Severe weather from the same system also generated tornadoes in Kentucky and could continue to move north, the Weather Channel reported.
An earlier tornado killed three people in Arkansas overnight.
Separately, wildfires left a trail of ash with 200 homes destroyed in Oklahoma and Texas and three confirmed deaths, media reports said.
At least one of the fires in a suburban area near Oklahoma city was suspected to have been purposefully set, officials told the Oklahoman newspaper.
- Storms leave nearly 300 as dead in southern US (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- US tornado toll reaches 38 - Mar 04, 2012
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- 10 killed in giant tornado in US (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Seven killed in US tornado (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Tornadoes sweep through south US, 17 dead - Apr 16, 2011
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- Deadliest tornado in US history claims 44 lives - Apr 18, 2011
- Storms kill at least 47 across US - Apr 18, 2011
- American Red Cross launches relief efforts for Oklahoma - May 12, 2010
- 13 die as fresh tornadoes hit three US states - May 26, 2011
- Tornadoes and severe storms in southern U.S. leave around 200 dead - Apr 28, 2011
- At least five killed, dozens injured after tornado outbreak in Oklahoma - May 11, 2010
Tags: ash, dozens, fires, friday afternoon, infant daughter, murfreesboro tennessee, national weather service, news journal, oklahoma city, severe storms, severe weather, southcentral, southern states, spring weather, suburban area, tornado warnings, tornadoes in kentucky, violent spring, weather across, weather channel