Tornadoes kill 14 in US (Lead)March 3rd, 2012 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
Chicago, March 3 (IANS) At least 14 people were killed and an entire town was wiped out after tornadoes blew through the US heartland and inflicted extensive damage Friday afternoon, media reports said.
In Indiana, eight people died and a small town called Marysville was destroyed. Five people were killed in Kentucky while a man was found dead in an Ohio mobile home, reported Xinhua.
Storm warnings were issued across the Midwest and the Southeast, with schools, government offices and businesses shutting down ahead of the storms, which arrived on the heels of a series of tornadoes that killed 13 people in Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Tennessee two days ago.
There was “extensive damage” to the Henryville Junior-Senior High School in the Clark County, Indiana, according to Maj. Chuck Adams of the county sheriff’s department.
The school building’s roof were torn off, with parts of the walls knocked down and windows blown out.
Students who remained at the school when the disaster struck suffered only minor injuries such as cuts and bruises.
National Weather Service meteorologist John Gordon said they have about “half a dozen reports of tornadoes on the ground” as well as reports about “significant damage”.
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Eight die as tornadoes slam US state - Mar 03, 2012
- 4 killed in Branson Tornado - Feb 29, 2012
- US tornado toll reaches 38 - Mar 04, 2012
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- 25 killed as tornadoes hit US - May 23, 2011
- Tornados hit US' South & Midwest - Jan 23, 2012
- Seven killed in US tornado (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Storms leave nearly 300 as dead in southern US (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- 13 die as fresh tornadoes hit three US states - May 26, 2011
- Storms leave 100,000 without power in Michigan - May 31, 2011
- Over 1.8 mn go 'powerless' in US for fourth day (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Storms sweep US midwest - Apr 15, 2012
- 10 killed in giant tornado in US (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
Tags: chicago march, clark county indiana, county sheriff, cuts and bruises, disaster, friday afternoon, government offices, half a dozen, heartland, kansas missouri, midwest, minor injuries, missouri illinois, mobile home, national weather service, storm warnings, storms, tennessee, tornadoes, xinhua