Tornado in US city kills 116May 24th, 2011 - 4:38 am ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 24 (IANS) A devastating tornado killed at least 116 people in US’ Joplin city in the state of Missouri, and left over 2,000 homes in ruins, officials said. President Barack Obama has extended his condolences to the families of the city.
Officials at the Springfield-Greene county emergency management confirmed the toll Monday afternoon in Joplin, a city of 50,000 people, Xinhua reported.
The toll in the tornado that began Sunday night stood at 89 Monday morning.
Missouri officials said the toll was expected to climb as search and rescue continue.
Many people were injured and were admitted to hospitals.
The tornado touched down into the heart of the city at around 6 p.m. Sunday, destroying hundreds of buildings.
Winds of up to 260 km per hour destroyed nearly 2,000 buildings, Jasper County emergency management officials said.
The tornado also cut a path nearly 10 km long and more than a kilometre wide near the city.
Besides, a series of gas leaks caused fires around the city overnight.
The city’s residents were given about 20 minutes notice with tornado warning sirens before the tornado touched down on the west side.
But many people were unable to get to shelters in time, as “the storm was so loud you probably couldn’t hear the sirens going off”, said Missouri Governor Jay Nixon.
The governor has declared a state of emergency and called out the Missouri National Guard to help.
Authorities began a door-to-door search Monday. But the task was difficult as strong winds and heavy rain continued to torment the city.
Obama has called the governor to “extend his condolences” to the families of Joplin.
Last month, tornadoes killed over 300 people and caused more than $2 billion in damages to the US southern states. More than 200 people were killed in Alabama alone.
- 25 killed as tornadoes hit US - May 23, 2011
- Missouri tornado toll reaches 139 - May 29, 2011
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- Storms leave 100,000 without power in Michigan - May 31, 2011
- Missouri tornado toll rises to 132 - May 28, 2011
- 232 listed as missing after US tornado - May 27, 2011
- 13 die as fresh tornadoes hit three US states - May 26, 2011
- Tornadoes sweep through south US, 17 dead - Apr 16, 2011
- 29 people still unaccounted in Joplin tornado - May 31, 2011
- At least five killed, dozens injured after tornado outbreak in Oklahoma - May 11, 2010
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Storms leave nearly 300 as dead in southern US (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Tornado hits city in Russia's far-east, killing one - Jul 31, 2011
- Monster tornado kills 10, causes widespread damage in Mississippi and Louisiana - Apr 25, 2010
Tags: barack obama, condolences, county emergency management, emergency management officials, gas leaks, greene county, heart of the city, heavy rain, jasper county, jay nixon, joplin city, kilometre, missouri governor, missouri national guard, search and rescue, state of emergency, state of missouri, strong winds, tornado warning sirens, xinhua