Top UN official killed in Somalia: reportsJuly 7th, 2008 - 4:21 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Mogadishu, July 7 (DPA) Unknown gunmen have shot and killed the head of the United Nations’ Development Programme in Somalia, reports said Sunday. The BBC reported that Osman Ali Ahmed was shot as he left a mosque in the Somali capital Mogadishu. He died in hospital of his injuries.
Ahmed’s son and another man were reportedly wounded in the attack.
Aid workers have been increasingly targeted for attacks and abduction since the man believed to be Al Qaeda’s top operative in Somalia, Aden Hashi Ayro, was killed on May 1 in a US airstrike.
The head of the UN refugee agency UNHCR’s Mogadishu programme was recently kidnapped and is still being held.
Several other aid workers have been held captive for months, and the World Food Programme (WFP) has seen three of its drivers slain this year.
Ayro was the leader of Islamic militant group al-Shabaab, the armed wing of the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC). Al-Shabaab said it would target foreign troops and workers to avenge the deadly airstrike.
Militants have been waging a guerrilla war against government troops since the UIC was ousted from power at the beginning of 2007 with Ethiopian assistance.
The interim government has been unable to achieve stability in the Horn of Africa country, which has been plagued by chaos and civil war since dictator Mohamed Siad Barre was toppled in 1991.
A peace deal was agreed between moderate Islamists and the government in early June, but al-Shabaab has not signed the agreement and has vowed to keep fighting until Ethiopian troops leave Somalia.
- Somali insurgents vow revenge against US for Al Qaeda raid - Sep 15, 2009
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- Somali gunmen kidnap two UN workers - Jun 28, 2008
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- UN condemns killing of its official in Somalia - Jul 08, 2008
- Aid agencies rethinking Somali position as attacks increase - Jul 15, 2008
- Somali gunmen release head of UN refugee agency - Aug 28, 2008
- Somali Islamists storm broadcaster - Sep 20, 2010
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- Somali gunmen releases abducted UN workers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2008
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: aid workers, capital mogadishu, deadly airstrike, ethiopian troops, government troops, guerrilla war, hashi, horn of africa, horn of africa country, islamic courts, islamic militant group, mohamed siad barre, osman ali, peace deal, refugee agency, siad barre, somali capital, united nations development, united nations development programme, world food programme