Top Syrian military defector contacts oppositionJuly 13th, 2012 - 4:00 am ICT by IANS
Paris, July 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A top general who recently defected from the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria has established contacts with the opposition, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said.
Brig. Gen. Manaf Tlas, a commander in the powerful Republican Guard, fled last week and was reported to be on his way to Paris to join his 80-year-old father Mustafa, who served as Syrian defence minister for 32 years, and sister. His present whereabouts are unknown.
“I know the opposition and this general have approached each other and contact has been made,” Fabius said in Paris Thursday.
Experts believe the highest profile defection since the start of the uprising against the Assad regime in 2011 marks the first crack in Assad’s inner circle and may encourage other top-ranking Syrian officials to follow suit.
Meanwhile, the opposition Syrian National Council (SNC) has declared that international diplomacy had failed to solve the Syrian crisis, and revolution is the only way to end more than a year of bloodshed in the country.
Over 13,000 people have been killed in clashes between opposition forces and troops loyal to Assad in 17 months of bloodshed, according to Syrian rights groups quoted by the UN.
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
- France offers communications gear to Syrian opposition - Jun 16, 2012
- Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebels - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Syrian crisis should not have military solution: UN chief - Sep 21, 2012
- Assad's sister flees Syria : Report - Sep 19, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- Syrian opposition elects new leader - Jun 10, 2012
- Syrian opposition flag unfurled at Eiffel Tower - Jul 28, 2012
- US gives Syrian opposition $25 mn in non-lethal aid - Aug 02, 2012
- No impunity for Al-Assad : France - Jul 25, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, bloodshed, brig, clashes, defection, defector, defence minister, french foreign minister, inner circle, international diplomacy, laurent fabius, mustafa, opposition forces, regime, republican guard, ria novosti, rights groups, snc, syrian officials, uprising