Top HuJi militant arrested in JammuDecember 22nd, 2008 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 22 (IANS) The Jammu head of the Bangladesh-based militant outfit Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami (HuJI) has been arrested, police in this Jammu and Kashmir winter capital said Monday. Faizal Suhail, chief of the HuJI in Jammu region, was arrested following a raid in Jammu city late Sunday, police said.
The raid was conducted by a joint team of the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Jammu police, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Jammu, Manohar Singh, disclosed without naming the locality.
Suhail, said to be resident of Chhatroo in mountainous Kishtwar district, “is involved in a number of militancy related incidents including killing of five personnel of Border Roads Organisation near Kishtwar in June this year”, Singh added.
“We are interrogating this militant but in all probability his presence in Jammu at this point in time indicates his plans to disrupt elections.”
A pistol and a grenade have been recovered from Suhail.
The arrest comes just two days before the seventh and last round of polling in the state Dec 24. Security in the region has been intensified. Thirteen assembly seats in and around Jammu city as well as eight seats in Srinagar go the polls on Christmas Eve.
- HuJI's Jammu chief arrested (Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
- NIA raids suspects' residences in Jammu, Kishtwar - Oct 19, 2011
- Delhi blast: Email suspects being quizzed - Sep 11, 2011
- NIA to quiz jailed Hizbul linkman in Delhi blast - Sep 28, 2011
- NIA quizzing Kishtwar youth, family asserts his innocence - Oct 08, 2011
- Five held in Kishtwar for Delhi blast email - Sep 09, 2011
- Delhi blast: No breakthrough - Sep 09, 2011
- HuJi link to Delhi attack on Israelis? - Feb 21, 2012
- Three HuJI men gunned down in Chicha encounter - Feb 04, 2010
- NIA releases one of three arrested youth - Sep 24, 2011
- 11 terror suspects held, 'catastrophe' averted: Karnataka Police (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- HuJI terrorist killed in Jammu and Kashmir - Oct 18, 2009
- Tension in Kashmir town over email arrests - Sep 12, 2011
- Delhi blast: All but two detainees released in Kashmir - Sep 13, 2011
- Delhi blast: Two detained in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 09, 2011